From: Kathy Plourde via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:00 PM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: Re: [banat] World War 1 photos & questions

I had heard of the Czech Legion but did not know that it included POW’s of other nationalities. I’ll ask my dad if he remembers hearing anything about the Czech Legion from his father.

Kathy

On Sep 19, 2020, at 6:57 AM, Michael Kaiser via groups.io <mkdt@...> wrote:

Dave,

this is a very good hint.

Despite the name the legion did not consist of Czechs alone. The name "Czech Legion" came up only after the war. By the end of WWI the legion had ~140.000 members from various nations - lots of them from Serbia.

Also the description that Kathy gave about her grandfather's journey home matches *exactly* what is known about the legion. From Vladivostok some travelled to the US, some travelled across the continent by train. And some travelled by ship on the southern route via Japan, Hongkong, Ceylon and the Suez Canal to Triest (Italien). All in all the evacuation took one year and eight months.

Michael

ps. For those who read german:

https://myaktivity.cz/de/1918/article/103
https://deutsch.radio.cz/durchkaempfen-bis-wladiwostok-tschechoslowakische-legion-russland-8590989

Am 18.09.2020 um 06:44 schrieb Dave Dreyer:

Kathy,

Was It possible that your guy, even so, a Banater was a member of the Czech Legion?

The Legion was made up of POWs who disserted or were taken by the Russians as POWs.   They evolved into an independent force and  fought their way along the transSiberian railroad across Russia and Siberia with many wild events along the way-------shootouts with armored trains, encounters with a crazy Russian admiral who was in possession of the Russian gold reserves, a bandit with his own armored train.  They ended up in Vladivostok where they were eventually evacuated mixed with normal German and Austrian POWs.

One of the latest studies on the matter is;

“The Czech and Slovak Legion in Siberia 1917-1922” 2012 by Mohr.

Dave Dreyer