Re: Train service early 1900s between Milwaukee and Dickinson, N.D.

Laura Thompson

Thank you Dave for the detailed information. Interestingly enough, I purchased the paperback of yours and Ms. Hatter, From the Banat to North Dakota, and it arrived soon after your email. What a terrific read! Full of train information, too. I hope everyone has the opportunity to read it. I plan on reading it a second time. Laura

Quoting Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...>:

Laura,
In 1910 the Northern Pacific was running four East bound passenger trains daily through Dickinson.  The schedule was
Train No.    Arrival                           DepartureNo 1           1.10 AM                  1.15 AMNo 3          2.00 PM                 2.10 PMNo 5         11.55 PM                12.05 AMNo 7         4.00 PM                   4.10 PM
The schedule of the West bound trains, No 2,3,6,8, was similar.If I have it right, trains 1,3 and 7 were mail trains so could have been through trains to St Paul but certainly would have required stops along the way to change locomotives.The Milwaukee Road built up from the South along the Cannonball river initially as far as New England.  Eventually both the Milwaukee and the Great Northern built connections with the Northern Pacific but it would have been a hassle for passengers to take either of these from SW North Dakota.The North Dakota Banaters even discussed building their own branch line in the Lefor area to connect with the NP but this was abandoned at the beginning of World War I.  On a side note.The Union Pacific gets all the credit for fielding big locomotives.  But the Norther Pacific was second to none when it came to big motive power with their massive Yellowstone and Challenger classes of articulateds .  It must truly have been an impressive sight to see one of these big guys come pounding through one of the little prairie towns like Gladstone or Taylor in the inter war years.
Dave Dreyer On Sunday, March 14, 2021, 12:43:44 PM PDT, lthomps <lthomps@...> wrote:

The research tool, Newspapers, Inc., provided me with surprise entries
that showed my teenage grandmother and her mother in Dickinson, North
Dakota, soon after the death of her father, Heinrich Mahalek, in 1912
in Milwaukee, WI. They had visited their Hubof(v)relatives. They were
going to return to Milwaukee Nov. 1913. That prompted my curiosity as
to travel conditions. Research indicated that by 1898, N.D.'s network
had transformed from the single Northern Pacific main line between
Fargo and Bismarck to three transcontinental main lines and a network
of branches. The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul had built across
southern Minnesota and into southern Dakota territory by the late
1910s. Also, the C&NW railroad provided direct connections to Chicago
that by-passed the Twin Cities.  I couldn't help wondering what
choices they had made.  Laura Thompson

Dave,
g/everybody/leave/7733980/4283275/1381042441/xyzzy
[lthomps@...]