Re: Train service early 1900s between Milwaukee and Dickinson, N.D.

Dave Dreyer

Laura,

Many thanks for your kind comments on our North Dakota book.
The Northern Pacific played a major roll in the lives of the North Dakota Banaters.  They would have made the last leg of their trip from the port of arrival to the settlement area on the NP.  After establishing a homestead Banaters could buy additional railroad land from the holdings the NP acquired from the Government to help finance the road,  The Banat settlements extended for about 100 miles along the NP right-of-way from Glen Ullin to Glendive in Eastern Montana.  To visit relatives and others in adjacent towns from the old Heimat before WW I it would have been practical to take the train.  Many Banaters got jobs on track maintenance crews with the NP. in the winter when farm work was at a slower pace. In spite of complaints about NP freight rates in later years the NP depended on traffic in farm products to generate income. The NP employed many Banaters in its yards at its division point in Glendive.  NP employment records are available through Ancestry.  There one even finds a couple of gals working in the lunch counter in the Glendive and Dickinson Depots.

Dave Dreyer

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 08:46:04 AM PDT, Laura Thompson <lthomps@...> wrote:

Thank you Dave for the detailed information.  Interestingly enough, I
purchased the paperback of yours and Ms. Hatter, From the Banat to
North Dakota, and it arrived soon after your email.  What a terrific
read!  Full of train information, too.  I hope everyone has the
opportunity to read it. I plan on reading it a second time.  Laura

Quoting Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...>:

> Laura,
> In 1910 the Northern Pacific was running four East bound passenger
> trains daily through Dickinson.  The schedule was
> Train No.    Arrival                           DepartureNo 1
>    1.10 AM                  1.15 AMNo 3          2.00 PM
>      2.10 PMNo 5         11.55 PM                12.05 AMNo 7
>  4.00 PM                   4.10 PM
> The schedule of the West bound trains, No 2,3,6,8, was similar.If I
> have it right, trains 1,3 and 7 were mail trains so could have been
> through trains to St Paul but certainly would have required stops
> along the way to change locomotives.The Milwaukee Road built up from
> the South along the Cannonball river initially as far as New
> England.  Eventually both the Milwaukee and the Great Northern built
> connections with the Northern Pacific but it would have been a
> hassle for passengers to take either of these from SW North
> Dakota.The North Dakota Banaters even discussed building their own
> branch line in the Lefor area to connect with the NP but this was
> abandoned at the beginning of World War I.  On a side note.The Union
> Pacific gets all the credit for fielding big locomotives.  But the
> Norther Pacific was second to none when it came to big motive power
> with their massive Yellowstone and Challenger classes of
> articulateds .  It must truly have been an impressive sight to see
> one of these big guys come pounding through one of the little
> prairie towns like Gladstone or Taylor in the inter war years.
> Dave Dreyer    On Sunday, March 14, 2021, 12:43:44 PM PDT, lthomps
> <lthomps@...> wrote:
>

> The research tool, Newspapers, Inc., provided me with surprise entries
> that showed my teenage grandmother and her mother in Dickinson, North
> Dakota, soon after the death of her father, Heinrich Mahalek, in 1912
> in Milwaukee, WI. They had visited their Hubof(v)relatives. They were
> going to return to Milwaukee Nov. 1913. That prompted my curiosity as
> to travel conditions. Research indicated that by 1898, N.D.'s network
> had transformed from the single Northern Pacific main line between
> Fargo and Bismarck to three transcontinental main lines and a network
> of branches. The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul had built across
> southern Minnesota and into southern Dakota territory by the late
> 1910s. Also, the C&NW railroad provided direct connections to Chicago
> that by-passed the Twin Cities.  I couldn't help wondering what
> choices they had made.  Laura Thompson
>
> Dave,

g/everybody/leave/7733980/4283275/1381042441/xyzzy