Re: Banaters in St Louis

Thank you for the info   I'll order a copy of this book.  My Mercydorf family came to St. Louis in 1904. The men  had been back and forth working in the electrical and train-car building and finishing trades, before finally making the move with the entire family.  Half the family settling in St. Louis and others received land grants in Alabama as farmers.   They were the community in St. Louis, catholic Churches but German and Hungarian.  St. Louis had it sections of immigrants, The Bevo area being Predominantly German and Hungarian, The Czech Hall, a Spanish Society, and "The Hill", Italian.  Many Banat names were the founders of great companies, Anheuser, Bensinger, Schnuck, Schuh, Bayer.
As a child I remember going to the Strassen Fest and doing the Polka - everyone was so happy to be there with friends and relatives.
I try to imaging picking up and moving to another country and not speaking the language.  It was a leap of faith for all of them. Anyone who has ever done this can truly appreciate the sacrifice.   It is enlightening.
Thanks again Dave for bringing this book to our attention.    Julie Karner (Kraus)
--
Julie Karner Menendez
Searching for information on The Kraus, Cserszy, Reich, Gyeppo from Mercydorf

Pinehurst North Carolina