Re: Schools in the Banat

Karoly Hajdu

Yes, "papnöv." abbreviation means priesthood student.

Károly
From Budapest

From: everybody@banat.groups.io <everybody@banat.groups.io> on behalf of Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde@...>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2022 9:31:41 PM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io <everybody@banat.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [banat] Schools in the Banat

Thanks, Rosina and Tibor, for your responses.  My grandfather was the second oldest son so I guess he was the one for the church.

I likely made an error with the tuition amount  -  I’ll have to check that. He came from a family of 9 children so they probably were unable to pay a such a large sum of money. The marks on his school report were 1’s and 2’s (with one 3) so perhaps he received some assistance with his school fees.

Some initials appear behind his name in the Szeged Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium 1910-11 report. They are r.k., tdm. I’m guessing that r.k. is Roman Catholic but I don’t know what tdm. stands for. In the 1911-12 report, the initials changed to np. In the 1912 Katholikus Szemle, the word papnov is behind his name. Could that be novitiate priest?

Here’s a screenshot of the entry:

Kathy

On May 26, 2022, at 12:49 PM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

Hello Kathy,

The high school (Gymnasium) wasn’t cheap, but if the child (or their parents) applied for a scholarship and got it, it was already easier.

There were also church, professional, and civic scholarships, without which only wealthy families could afford to send their children in high school. You also write that your grandfather’s one-year tuition reached 1437 crowns (which seems pretty much to me, but it's not impossible). You should know that the purchasing power of a 1900-1910 crown was roughly equal to the current $5, so the annual tuition was equal (in actual purchase power) with  $7,185.

The distance between Timisoara and Szeged is about 70-75 miles, which is not so big. In the early 20th century it could be done by train in 2, maximum 3 hours. There was a lively cultural, commercial and economic relationship between the two cities, so it is not very surprising that there was also a passage between the schools.

Greetings,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. máj. 26., Cs, 17:53):
Hi Tibor,

I have a question on a different subject - higher education in the Banat. Was it common for people to go to high school or Gymnasium? I asked about it previously (before you joined this group).

I did a search on the Arcanum.hu website and it returned a number of hits with my grandfather’s name (Mathias Potje). I already knew that he studied at Catholic high school in Temesvar but was surprised to see that his name also came up for the Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium in Szeged. This school as well as the Kegyestanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar printed annual books that included tables with the students’ names and grades. His youngest sister (who was 16 years younger than him) told us that he wanted to be a priest and had studied theology but dropped out.  His report card for one year showed the tuition amount as 1437  - I think the currency at the time in Hungary was Krone.

What I don’t understand is why a young boy who lived in Szakalhaza  (born in 1895 so approximately age 13 in 1908) would be sent to Szeged to go to school - I’m assuming it was a boarding school. He was there for the 1909 and 1910 and then at  Kegystanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar 1911 and dropped out in 1912.

After that he studied horticulture at the Royal Hungarian Academy in Budapest until he was drafted to go into the army in 1915. He was listed as a Faehnrich in der Reserve in 1917 in the Ranglisten in the Austro-Hungarian army.