Re: Photos from today's Lovrin

Nancy Poole

Tibor -- Thank you for the pictures and for the history of Lovrin.  This was the home of my maternal grandmother and her family, so it is of special interest to me.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I would like to publicly acknowledge and compliment Tibor on the private research he did on my behalf.  In a short amount of time, he found information about my Lovrin ancestors, that I was never able to find during my 30 years of research.  His report included copies of the original records as well as a translation, for a completely reasonable cost.  I couldn't be happier with the results and would highly recommend his services.

Nancy Poole

On Sunday, June 5, 2022, 02:47:12 AM EDT, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

Dear list members,

I will be in Timisoara next week to get more vital records from Banat to facilitate the genealogical research I am doing. During my trip, two days ago I stopped in Lovrin and took some photos because I know there are several list members whose ancestors emigrated from here. I have already helped several list members in their personal family research. If you are interested in this option, please write a private email and I will let you know the details.

But let's get back to Lovrin.

The settlement has been inhabited since the 1400s, initially Serbs and Bulgarians lived here. Then in 1785 some German settlers from Alsace and Lorraine arrived, and the Serbs and the Bulgarians moved away a few years later. The village got its name from a local wealthy Bulgarian who was called Lovrinatz, which is the equivalent of the name Lawrence. Perhaps that is why Saint Lawrence can be seen in the coat of arms of the village.

In the 19th-20th century Lovrin was very famous for its gardeners, and the fruits and vegetables grown in Lovrin were taken all the way even too Budapest and Vienna because they were of such good quality. I remember that in my childhood (the 1960-1970s) the cherries and grapes from Lovrin were the most delicious at the markets from Timisoara. My great-grandmother told me that her grandmother was only willing to buy potatoes which cames from Lovrin :-)

Lovrin currently has about 3,000 inhabitants, 90% of whom are Romanian, and only 5-6 German families live in the settlement. Many emigrated between 1880 and 1910 (many to the United States), and the remainder of the Germans left between 1970 and 1990, settling mainly in West Germany.

In the photos you can see that there are houses that have been beautifully tidied up and maintained, but unfortunately there are also collapsed and damaged houses. You can see the Catholic church consecrated in 1789, where the ancestors of several list members were baptized and where these ancestors were married.

I also took some photos of the surrounding Banat landscape, which (apart from the roads) may not have changed so much in the last 200 years. When renaming the pictures, I tried to give them a name that would help you understand what the photo depicted (e.g. Lovrin_Old School, Lovrin_RC Church Garden or Lovrin_Exit from the village, etc).

If you are interested in the photos I took in Lovrin two days ago, write me an email ( lemilpromo@... ) and I will send you the download link. The folder contains 47 photos and the amount of data is 70 MB.

In the future my plan is to visit several other settlements from  Banat. I will take photos that I will be happy to share with you so that you can see what the villages from which your ancestors emigrated 100-150 years ago look like today.

And a heartfelt "THANK YOU!" to those list members who helps me with PayPal transfers and thus contribute to diminuating my costs and expenses!

Best regards and stay safe,

Tibor