Totenbuch Der Donauschwaben #Databases

Another, more unsettling Database is the Totenbuch Der Donauschwaben, or List of the Donauswabian Dead. This information resource was started by a group in Europe to catalogue all of those persons that were from the D-S Regions that were killed during WWII, or thereafter in an internment camp, in Russia or elsewhere post WWII.

The Database lists 88,057 names, with as much information as possible that was known for each individual - Home Community, Name, Religion, Address, Profession, Born, Died, Buried and Notes (which can be the hardest things of all to read - "In the Extermination and Internment camps, starved or otherwise died."). Of course, not all fields are filled in for every individual, but the information can be an invaluable research tool.

The list was hosted in Austria for many years, but the owners ran out of funding to keep the Database posted.

This is a link to my Database implementation, which contains the same information, with one exception - the original Notes were in German; many thanks to Rosina Schmidt for the Notes translation into English many years ago.

http://www.danube-swabians.org/totenbuch/totebuch_list.php

--
David Preston
Banat List Admin

Rosina T. Schmidt

Thank you, David,

For posting the Totenbuch der Donauschwaben on your website too. Since the database is in alphabetical order, would it be possible to look for the localities per letters versus just in groups of 10?

Thanks again,

Rosina

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 02282020AD--, at 12:38 49000PM, David Preston <banatmailer@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rosina,

You can sort the data by clicking on any of the column names at the top.

You can also use the Search feature, and as you type, you will start to see potential matches. Click on one of those to see the specific record.

Finally, you can set the number of lines displayed from 10 to 500 per "page" by using the drop-down menu right after "Displaying 1 - 10 of 88057 " at the top of the page . If you want an even smaller view, get the range of results, and then click on the Print Icon. Select Print this page, and then select the number of records per page. You can then see a printable page on your screen, with the records broken into groups. In the following example, I set the number of records to view at 10 at a time, and then in the Print drop. down, selected 5 records per page. Here is the first "page":

Totenbuch - List of the Dead

Totebuch

Page 1 of 2
Home Community Last Name First Name Religion Address Profession Born Died Buried Notes
Großkikinda Linster Ödön         1944 Kikinda Died before the 1941 Internment.
Kubin Fischtner Zölestin       1864 1945 Kubin In the Extermination and Internment camps, starved or otherwise died.
Pantschova - Jug. Banat Dr. Hauber Zoltan Roman Catholic   Dentist 118898 1944 Pantschowa Died
Waldneudorf Achatz Zoltan       1916 1944   Died, Yugoslavia
Franztal Semlin Brenner Zlatko Roman Catholic Kalvariengasse Student 1923 1944   Killed in Action,Ungarn

Originally prepared by the Danube Swabian Association in Austria on behalf of the Foundation of the Germans from the Sudeten and Carpathian-Danube region

You can also do advanced Searches and export the data using the "gears" icon in the upper right. Export file types include Word, CSV, PDF and Excel formats are all supported.

Everyone, please note that I left the credit for the group that did the original work as a footer when you go to print out the information.

Hope that helps in searching the database!

Cheers,
--
David Preston
Banat List Admin

Cathy Deschu

Are you interested in adding to it?  I know of another Deschu whose camp was buried in an avalanche in the Italian Alps.

Cathy

On Feb 28, 2020, at 3:39 PM, David Preston <banatmailer@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cathy.

Yes, the Database was never considered "completed" as far as I know.

If you could send me the information in a separate message to everybody+owner@banat.groups.io, I would be happy to update the Database. I would need to know the source of your information and any supporting data as well as the information itself. I will add you as the contributor in the Notes section so that others can get in touch if they have a match or more information.

Thanks!
--
David Preston
Banat List Admin