From: everybody@banat.groups.io <everybody@banat.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosina T. Schmidt
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:03 PM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: Re: [banat] Ramble - Not lookup

May I add a few words to this topic:

The causes of premature deaths of children:

Many; no vaccinations at those times; no water treatment, just well water. No treatment of milk; the milk was used as it came from the cow; and most important the mothers were mostly farming wives and had to spend much time on the fields. The babies were wrapped in the blankets and the duvet carrying cushion and put on the ground close to mother, while she worked in the field. A photo of this ‘cushion’ is to be seen here: https://hrastovac.net/photo-collection/christenings/; another important reason, no medical practitioner close by. Just to mention a few reasons.

As for the heating: Each house did have a stove-oven combination that was used to cook on, bake in that was also heating the kitchen.

I grew up in that area, and the baby in the right photo above is me.

Keep safe, stay well,

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 07292020AD--, at 6:34 19000PM, Cathy Reece <cre29ece@...> wrote:

Andrew,

I asked someone at the Donauschwaben ,who lived in the Banat,

what the children died of.  She said they died of common childood

 illnesses such as measles because they had high temps and they

 could not get the high temperatures down.

Cathy

Also heard that babies born in winter were unlikely to survive because

 of the cold.I suspect they had no heat in the homes.

Cathy

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 1:51 PM Andrew Lengenfelder via groups.io <andyl1937=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, got my first family book this week, Grosskomlosch,  three things came to mind.
1. What an amazing piece of research, detailed and comprehensive. \
2. I was surprised by the number of added marriages, two sometimes three.
3. And sadly I am appalled by the number of children that failed to each their teens, Seemed to be worse in the winter.
And families using the same name for children that died sometimes 3 or more.
Sad sometimes but I am glad to be doing this research.
AndyL

Rosina T. Schmidt

[...]

Cathy Reece