next question

Kogaylene Ruddick

Hope my questions aren’t too much. I do my best to look online and do research but
often can’t find answers so thats why I ask here.

Family from Germany to Hungary in 1820 says in records that he had 1280 gulden on
him. Any idea if this was Austrian or hungarian currency and how much this might be
in today’s dollars so I can know if this a very large amount.

Thanks for any help.

Kogaylene

Dave Dreyer

Kogaylene,

You might check the Flacker Pages.  Your question refers to the typical material covered by Helmut Flacker.

Dave Dreyer

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 04:37:44 PM PDT, Kogaylene Ruddick <kdruddick@...> wrote:

Hope my questions aren’t too much.  I do my best to look online and do research but
often can’t find answers so thats why I ask here.

Family from Germany to Hungary in 1820 says in records that he had 1280 gulden on
him.  Any idea if this was Austrian or hungarian currency and how much this might be
in today’s dollars so I can know if this a very large amount.

Thanks for any help.

Kogaylene

Karoly Hajdu

Calculated on a gold background:

1 Gulden (Forint) = 0,765 gr Gold (in 18th century)
1 gr Gold = 57,7878 USD (this morning exchange rate)
1 Gulden = about 44 USD
1280 Gulden = about 56,5 thousand USD

Greetings,
Károly Hajdu
From Budapest

Hope my questions aren’t too much. I do my best to look online and do research but often can’t find answers so thats why I ask here.

Family from Germany to Hungary in 1820 says in records that he had 1280 gulden on him. Any idea if this was Austrian or hungarian currency and how much this might be in today’s dollars so I can know if this a very large amount.

Thanks for any help.

Kogaylene

Thomas

It is really a large amount
About 1750 the earnings of a year: about 50 - 100 Taler (teacher), 70 Taler (Carpenter).
1 Gulden = 2/3 Taler
1280 Gulden = 853 Taler = the earnings of about 8-16 Years.

see also

greetings from Germany
Thomas (Makkos)

------------------------------
Thomas Makkos
86167 Augsburg
------------------------------
Email: thomas@...
------------------------------

Am Do., 6. Mai 2021 um 08:28 Uhr schrieb Karoly Hajdu <karoly.hajdu@...>:

Calculated on a gold background:

1 Gulden (Forint) = 0,765 gr Gold (in 18th century)
1 gr Gold = 57,7878 USD (this morning exchange rate)
1 Gulden = about 44 USD
1280 Gulden = about 56,5 thousand USD

Greetings,
Károly Hajdu
From Budapest

Hope my questions aren’t too much.  I do my best to look online and do research but often can’t find answers so thats why I ask here.

Family from Germany to Hungary in 1820 says in records that he had 1280 gulden on him.  Any idea if this was Austrian or hungarian currency and how much this might be in today’s dollars so I can know if this a very large amount.

Thanks for any help.

Kogaylene

Karoly Hajdu

Hi Thomas,

There were several types of Guldens in Europe at the time.

In the Austrian and Hungarian territories, 1 Taler was worth 2 Guldens.

https://www.heinlenews.de/muenzverschie.htm#umrechnungen

The 56,5 thousand USD = around 1 kg Gold.

Yes it is really a large amount.

(In Hungary, even today, we have to work an average of 6 years for 1 kg Gold 😉 ).

Best Regards,

Károly