From: "Kathy Plourde via groups.io" <daveKathyplourde@...>
Subject: [banat] Education in the Banat
Date: December 12, 2020 at 3:34:54 PM EST

Does anyone know about secondary education in the Banat? Was it common for people to go to high school?

I did a search on the Arcanum.hu website and it returned a number of hits with my grandfather’s name (Mathias Potje). I already knew that he studied at Catholic high school in Temesvar but was surprised to see that his name also came up for the Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium in Szeged. This school as well as the Kegyestanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar printed annual books that included tables with the students’ names and grades. His youngest sister (who was 16 years younger than him) told us that he wanted to be a priest and had studied theology but dropped out.  His report card for one year showed the tuition amount as 1437  - I think the currency at the time in Hungary was Krone.

What I don’t understand is why a young boy (born in 1895 so approximately age 13 in 1908) would be sent to Szeged to go to school - I’m assuming it was a boarding school. He was there for 1909 and 1910 and then at  Kegystanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar 1911 and dropped out in 1912.

After that he studied horticulture at the Royal Hungarian Academy in Budapest until he was drafted to go into the army in 1915. He was listed as a Faehnrich in der Reserve in 1917 in the Ranglisten in the Austro-Hungarian army.

About the hat he was wearing in the photo, I did find images of the Romanian army hat for that time period that were the same as his.  So after returning home in 1921 from a Siberian prisoner of war camp, he must have ended up in the Romanian army for a while before emigrating to Canada.

Kathy

Tibor Tóth

Hello Kathy,

Yes, it’s a list of names and amounts of money, but without the previous pages I can’t judge what that might be. Perhaps donations, perhaps tuition payment, or something else.

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. máj. 26., Cs, 17:53):

Hi Tibor,

I had asked this question before you joined the list and wonder if you could shed some light on this.

I found a page on the Hungaricana website about Allami Klauzal Gimnazium in Szeged. It lists the names of men, where they lived and what I believe is an amount of money. I’ve underlined my great-grandfather’s name. Is it a list of donations? The image of the documents below.

Thanks,

Kathy

Begin forwarded message: