Are there any arrival records for emigrants returning to the Banat ? – pre / post WW1

Ron

Are there any arrival records for emigrants returning to the Banat ? – pre / post WW1

I have used Dave Dreyers ship lists many times and still make discoveries when I use it.

It has helped me to locate the actual ship manifests for arrival of relatives in New York (1906/1907).

There were a number of cases in my family, where they had gone to America, stayed for 2 or three years and then returned to the Banat village they came from. I was wondering if there are any known shipping records for arrival back into the Austro-Hungarian empire ? – ie, arrival at the port of Fiume for example..

Since I don’t know the dates of their return (a guess, circa 1910) – this question may be a bit of a stretch, but as we know the names of the 4 Cunard ships that were travelling that route both to New York and back, I was wondering if there are any records of returning emigrants somewhere.

Any comments / ideas are welcome

Ron 😊

Dave Dreyer

Ron,

There is a category of records on Ancestry entitled, as I recall, "UK arrivals".  it was not unusual for Banaters to return vis Liverpool or Southampton and then continued via a channel crossing.  Perhaps it was cheaper by this route.
Otherwise I do not know of any European arrival records.
There are Fiume departure records but these are not generally available.  There is a very useful article about these records in a journal published by the Sacramento genealogical Soc.  Could there also be set of Fiume records on arrivals?
One needs to encourage Ancestry or some Genealogical Society to negotiate with the Kroatian or Fiume archives to allow these passenger ship records to be copied in their entirely.  This likely would take considerable persistence as well as funds.

Dave Dreyer

On Sunday, October 17, 2021, 05:04:19 PM PDT, Ron <ronthiel10@...> wrote:

[...]

W David Samuelsen

If there were any records for Fiume, now named Rijeka, they would be kept at Croatian State Archives in Zagreb.  They have easy email contact info.  I contacted them about a puzzle problem I was having for a certain city and discovered the set of records was mislabeled and since corrected in FamilySearch catalog. FamilySearch International did a lot of microfilming before there was a conversion to digital format.

DAvid Samuelsen

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:18 PM Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Here's the site address of Croatian State Archives

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:16 AM W David Samuelsen via groups.io <sammyslc=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rudolf Huepfl

Ron, I fully agree with what has been already mentioned by Dave and David. What has helped me a lot in such cases were traveling documents released by US offices for such visits to the old homelands.
However, many of our Banaters spent only short time in the States to get some additional money for wedding and/our house construction; other found live in the States not suitable for them. Then we have the organisers who travelled foreward and back, each time to bring other falily members and friends and finally the returners to fight for the Emperor and later for Hitler. Unfortunately, there is little data available on such returners. It would facilitate a number of mixed-up data in many family trees.
Rudolf

Dave Dreyer

David S.,

Although the Office of the  Kroatian archives may be located in Zagrab I would bet that the actual manifests are still located in Fiume.   The palace like building overlooking the water front from which emigrant shipping was managed still functions as a government  depository when I was there in about 2000.   I would hazard that the arrangements are much the same as in many other countries.  For example the last word on Banat records in Romanian archives was in Buceresti even though the actual records are located in Temeswar.  The U.S. is no exception-----I spent many days in the local branch of the National Archives in San Bruno Calif looking at passenger ship records even though that branch specialized in records of Jap interment and indian treaty records.  Of course things change especially in the last decade with the influence of the EU.

Dave Dreyer