Death of Philipp Lung

Dave Dreyer

Karen Preston and I have received distressing news from the AVBF that Philipp Lung has died after a stroke.

Philipp Lung was born in Sigmundfeld/Banat.  He was a long term member of the AKdFF.  Philipp was a sparkplug who pressed for the formation of the AVBF.  This came about when the production of Banat family books was rather sluggish by the AKdFF.  With several other Banat members of the AKdFF Philipp saw a way of speeding up Banat family book publishing by the creation of a separate, but associated organization, which focused on the Banat over wider Donauschwaben matters.

It may not be apparent, but those who study Banat family matters, even though not especially close to these organizations  have benefited greatly by Philipp's foresight.  His contribution also involved locating copies of  Banat church books under difficult conditions which sometimes were fragmented and scattered over various archives as well as raising the funds to take completed manuscripts into the printing stage.

To an Auslander like myself with poor spoken German skills, Philipp was always ready with a friendly greeting making one feel as a valued associate.

Dave Dreyer

elaine ess

Dave
This is devastating news!  Please keep us informed of funeral plans so we can send our deepest sympathies to the family .
I know I use his family books weeks and truly appreciate all he has done.
Elaine Ess

On Apr 21, 2021, at 12:20 AM, Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...> wrote:

[...]

sparkle collie

I too appreciate all he has done for the Banat families.  So sorry to lose him.

Raising handKathy White
sparklecollie@...

[...]

Stasa Cvetkovic

I am very sorry to hear the sad news! Rest in peace, Herr Lung.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021, 14:17 sparkle collie via groups.io <sparklecollie=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rudolf Huepfl

Really sad to hear these news. Philipp has guided my research for a number of years in villages such as Sigmundsfeld, Albrechtsflor and Pardan. Many of my discovered Hüpfel members came into light because of his assistance. Fare well in peace.
Rudolf Huepfl

Karen Dalton Preston

I was so sad to hear of Philipp’s stroke, and then his passing.  He was always willing to help guide my research.  Later he guided Dave Dreyer and I when we wrote our first family book.  Philipp was a great help with getting that first effort published.

Though we were only acquainted via email, he became a good friend. His passing is a great loss to the Banat community.

—Karen Preston

On Apr 21, 2021, at 12:18 AM, Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave,

Thanks for passing along this news.  Like many on this list, but especially because my ancestors were also in Sigmundfeld, Philipp Lung's name lives large in all my genealogical endeavors.  Isn't is strange when someone you've never been been able to meet in person seems more like family than some of your own family?  While he is now gone, his impact and memory will be with us for a long, long time.

With sadness--

Bill

[...]

Cathy Deschu

This is a great loss to the Banat Family

Cathy