Topics

Deutsch Zerne (GrunFamily) - Labour & Displaced Person Camps

Arthur Grun

I am trying to discover which labour and/or PoW camps in Yugoslavia housed Donauschwaben after the war. I am also trying to find out the locations and names of DP camps in Austria which housed Donauschwaben after the war. Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Arthur Grun

Rosina T. Schmidt

Hello Arthur,

Here is the list and info on those camps:

Sad story!

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 10202020AD--, at 9:26 32000AM, Arthur Grun <acfgrun910@...> wrote:

I am trying to discover which labour and/or PoW camps in Yugoslavia housed Donauschwaben after the war. I am also trying to find out the locations and names of DP camps in Austria which housed Donauschwaben after the war. Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Arthur Grun

Rosina T. Schmidt

Artur,

You might even discover a photo of the person you are looking for:

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 10202020AD--, at 9:26 32000AM, Arthur Grun <acfgrun910@...> wrote:

I am trying to discover which labour and/or PoW camps in Yugoslavia housed Donauschwaben after the war. I am also trying to find out the locations and names of DP camps in Austria which housed Donauschwaben after the war. Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Arthur Grun

N Bambach

A list of locations and names of DP camps in Austria which housed Donauschwaben and other Volksdeutsche after the war is available in the 1951 Report on Austria from the Office of the United States High Commissioner for Austria and United States.  The book has been digitized and is available to browse in Google Books.  See page 120.

Dave Dreyer

Arthur,

Allow me a few comments on Donauschwaben and DPs after the war.

Banaters who served in the Prinz Eugen were regarded by the Yugoslav government after the war as traitors.  Consider if a US citizen took up arms and fought against their own government.  The US would take a dim view of such an affaire.   In the case of Banaters who came from villages in the former Torontal (eg Yugoslavia) and who ended up in POW camps with the US or English dared no return to their home land where they were likely to be excuted.  When such men were released from POW camps they were classified as stateless.  As such they then mostly ended up in DP camps.  The criteria for admittance to a DP camp changed during the Post war years and was expanded to admit a greater number of refugees.  The whole matter is complicated and varied over time.

With the passing years the U.S. and England, who were paying for maintaince of those in the camps, badly wanted to shut them down due to the expense and the manpower required.  The main problem was to get countries to accept DPs as potential citizens.  This was a formidal problem involving increditable politicical maneuvering,  Most countries would only take individuals in  good health without dependents.  Canada preferred to take Ukrainians who they hoped would integrate well in the many Ukraine communities in the Praire provinances.  Australia took mainly Balts.  All countries tended to cherry pick people with desirable skills.  Most countries wanted especially people with agricultural experience with was a relatively small proportion of the DP s.

The US and England tended have the same view as to closing the camps except for one important hangup.  This had to do with the Jews.  No one wanted to take them.  They were an awkwrd problem.  One solution was to release them in Palestine but the English who had a mandate from the League of Nations felt responsible to the Palestinians who would have to give up land and property.  This developed into a campaign by Jewish terrorists to drive the British out by making it expensive for them to stay.  I can still remember pictures in the newsreels of the time when the Haganah (or was it the Stern Gang?) bombed the King David Hotel in Jerusalem killing a large number of people.   Of course, eventually the British did give it up and the flood gates opened to Israel.

For DPs to get a visa for the US they had to find a sponsor who would be responsible, they had to have a job lined up and prior arrangements for a place to live.  Not too easy to arrange from a DP camp in Germany.  Of great help were the various aid societies, The most active were Catholic aid societies.    I imagine the conditions were similar for England.

Two works which give an idea of the complexity of the problem-----written from the US standpoint and based largely on American records.  They do not cover the Banat or Banaters but give a picture of the times and the complexity of the DP problem.

Nasaw, David, “The Last Million”, 2020

Shephard Ben, “The Long Road Home”, 2011

Dave Dreyer

From
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 10:14 AM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: [banat] Deutsch Zerne (GrunFamily) - Labour & Displaced Person Camps

I am trying to discover which labour and/or PoW camps in Yugoslavia housed Donauschwaben after the war. I am also trying to find out the locations and names of DP camps in Austria which housed Donauschwaben after the war. Any information would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Arthur Grun

Arlene Maroli

I would just like to share one story of a family member of mine who was in a DP camp, though I do not know the details of where.  My Donauschwaben grandmother's brother, Adam Metzger, was living in Djakovo at the time WWII began. He and his wife and 4 children wound up in Germany in a DP camp working for an English officer and his wife, who gave them meals for the family.  Their youngest child was born while in the camp. They immigrated to the U.S. in 1951.  Attached is their photo, the family leaving Germany on the train.  It is amazing to me that this photo exists and they are looking so well and happy to be on the journey to the U.S.  The 2nd photo is of Adam in uniform (it is uploading very fuzzy, hope you can see it).  If anyone can identify his type of uniform, please let me know (WWI?).  After that time, the 2 families corresponded and when the men passed away, the wives continued to correspond with one another.  When the Metzger's came to the U.S., they were sponsored by a farmer in Colorado.  They received $80 per month for farm labor and were provided 1 room for the family to sleep in.  After about one year, the family relocated to Cleveland, where 2 of Adam's sisters had previously settled. I'm sad to say this entire family is now deceased, the youngest member having just passed away in 2019.