Topics

Education in the Banat

Kathy Plourde

Does anyone know about secondary education in the Banat? Was it common for people to go to high school?

I did a search on the Arcanum.hu website and it returned a number of hits with my grandfather’s name (Mathias Potje). I already knew that he studied at Catholic high school in Temesvar but was surprised to see that his name also came up for the Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium in Szeged. This school as well as the Kegyestanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar printed annual books that included tables with the students’ names and grades. His youngest sister (who was 16 years younger than him) told us that he wanted to be a priest and had studied theology but dropped out. His report card for one year showed the tuition amount as 1437 - I think the currency at the time in Hungary was Krone.

What I don’t understand is why a young boy (born in 1895 so approximately age 13 in 1908) would be sent to Szeged to go to school - I’m assuming it was a boarding school. He was there for the 1909 and 1910 and then at Kegystanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar 1911 and dropped out in 1912.

After that he studied horticulture at the Royal Hungarian Academy in Budapest until he was drafted to go into the army in 1915. He was listed as a Faehnrich in der Reserve in 1917 in the Ranglisten in the Austro-Hungarian army.

About the hat he was wearing in the photo, I did find images of the Romanian army hat for that time period that were the same as his. So after returning home in 1921 from a Siberian prisoner of war camp, he must have ended up in the Romanian army for a while before emigrating to Canada.

Kathy

Rosina T. Schmidt

Kathy,

It all depended where your grandfather lived before he went to high school in a bigger city. Just as today, if he wanted to be a priest, than he would go to a seminary, and those were located only in few cities.

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 12122020AD--, at 12:34 54000PM, Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rosina,

He lived in Sacklas which is very close to Temesvar. It is over 100 km from Sacklas to Szeged.

Kathy

On Dec 12, 2020, at 3:43 PM, Rosina T. Schmidt <rosinatschmidt@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy, then the seminary would have been in that city. The clue is that he wanted to become a priest.
Rosina

On Sat., Dec. 12, 2020, 3:18 p.m. Kathy Plourde via groups.io, <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

H Klein

Hi Kathy Plourde

The brother of my Great Grandmother was born in Franzfeld, a almost wholly German town near Belgrade. He became evangelical Bishop in Slowakia where he had held his assignment as Pastor from where he had to flee from communists in 1944. He had a very good childhood and education in his German town in Hungarian and German language plus he knew a home in his village in which a Jewish family lived when he was raised. In his memory he stated that this neighbor was his periodical tutor in hebrew language which later was of advantage for his evangelical religious studies after Martin Luther A.B. It was very well possible to send a young student to Timisoara, Vienna or Germany for studies abroad. Another relative became plenipotentiary to the Parliament in Bucharest. Some of the families could afford those studies. The teachers in the German run villages also had the highest standard in teaching because some of them had been raised as farm heads and they had to be traditionally trained in each and every aspect a farm chief, Christian family head and culturally educated young gentleman. My father had been such an excellently trained young promising boy. His grandpa raised him also with some methods of a K&K General and sometimes woke him up during night to train him respect. However Second World War has broken his heart although he never drove aside from his personal career goals but me as a daughter could watch, that this terrible War had taken his toll. He suffered also a shooting wound when after his flight he was drafted very shortly befor War end near Vienna, Austria. He could not hide from State drafting.
I can reassure you that with regard to German nobler class in Yougoslavia the education had been that of UNIVERSITY tuebingen in Wurtemberg today, which was the original Cluntry they left for wars against the Osmans in 1700.
Best regards
H Kleinü

On 13.12.2020, at 00:21, Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you both for your responses.  I’ve been slowly working my way through the documents using an on-line translator (they are all in Hungarian). His education appears to be very rigorous and included classes in Latin and Greek and he achieved high marks in most of his classes. I just found his name in a report which mentioned him in a list of priest novitiates in the Diocese of Szeged-Csansad in 1910 so that school must have been a seminary as well as a high school.

Kathy

On Dec 13, 2020, at 7:03 AM, H Klein <hklein@...> wrote:

[...]

You mentioned: . I just found his name in a report which mentioned him in a list of priest novitiates in the Diocese of Szeged-Csansad in 1910.
Sorry but who are you referring to in your reply, to your relative or to the Slovak envagelical Bishop initial 1944 I have told your he was my earlier uncle ?

Regards

On 13.12.2020, at 23:51, Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

. I just found his name in a report which mentioned him in a list of priest novitiates in the Diocese of Szeged-Csansad in 1910

Kathy Plourde

I was referring to my grandfather, Mathias Potje. I’m sorry I should have mentioned him by name in my earlier message.