Topics

Fasnacht

Edward Lowitz

Anybody care to contribute family lore about Fasnacht in the Banat?

I remember my grandmother making fried donuts which contained coins and I think she did it for Shrove Tuesday which she called Donut Day.  There seems to be more about it than that though (Swabian Festival?  Donut Day in June?).

Ed.

Angela Helfrich Daugherty

my mother made the donuts on Jan 6 for 3 Kings Day.  They had coins and the one getting a coin would have good luck for the year.
Angela Helfrich Daugherty

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:55 PM Edward Lowitz via groups.io <edward.lowitz1=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Anybody care to contribute family lore about Fasnacht in the Banat?

I remember my grandmother making fried donuts which contained coins and I think she did it for Shrove Tuesday which she called Donut Day.  There seems to be more about it than that though (Swabian Festival?  Donut Day in June?).

Ed.

Katherine Brunner

We too do The Little Christmas celebration with a special navy bean soup and krapfen, only 3 have coins and represent the Three Kings.

On Feb 10, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Angela Helfrich Daugherty <angd45@...> wrote:

my mother made the donuts on Jan 6 for 3 Kings Day.  They had coins and the one getting a coin would have good luck for the year.
Angela Helfrich Daugherty

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:55 PM Edward Lowitz via groups.io <edward.lowitz1=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Anybody care to contribute family lore about Fasnacht in the Banat?

I remember my grandmother making fried donuts which contained coins and I think she did it for Shrove Tuesday which she called Donut Day.  There seems to be more about it than that though (Swabian Festival?  Donut Day in June?).

Ed.

Robert Bosch

On January 6th my grandmother Elisabeth Schag from Ciacova would make potato soup followed by donuts three of which would have dimes.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 5:36 PM, Katherine Brunner <katherinebrunner@...> wrote:

We too do The Little Christmas celebration with a special navy bean soup and krapfen, only 3 have coins and represent the Three Kings.

On Feb 10, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Angela Helfrich Daugherty <angd45@...> wrote:

my mother made the donuts on Jan 6 for 3 Kings Day.  They had coins and the one getting a coin would have good luck for the year.
Angela Helfrich Daugherty

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:55 PM Edward Lowitz via groups.io <edward.lowitz1=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Anybody care to contribute family lore about Fasnacht in the Banat?

I remember my grandmother making fried donuts which contained coins and I think she did it for Shrove Tuesday which she called Donut Day.  There seems to be more about it than that though (Swabian Festival?  Donut Day in June?).

Ed.

Edward Lowitz

I did not remember it being that cold when my grandmother made the donuts so I asked my older sister.  My grandmother did make them on the day before Ash Wednesday not Jan 6th.  I do remember not all the donuts had coins in them (something a little kid would remember! J).  I wonder why the different donut dates though?

Check out the Google article on Fasnacht:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabian-Alemannic_Fastnacht

Ed.

[...]

joyce alessandri

Hi Ed,
Yes I heard of coins in certain baked goods my great grandmother would make. She was from Stefanfeld. She immigrated to Wyandotte Michigan near Detroit. My older cousin told me about the coins several years ago.

On Feb 13, 2021, at 7:40 PM, Robert Bosch via groups.io <bobert87@...> wrote:

[...]

judy guagliardo

My grandmother made the donuts with coins but she made them on the feast of the magi I believe. It was something to do with day we celebrated the 3 wise men.