Topics

First Cousin marriages

Darrel Hockley

Would first cousin marriages amongst Banaters be allowed in the 1890s?

Darrel Hockley of Regina, SK, Canada

Karen Dalton Preston

Even marriage to a 3rd cousin required a dispensation from the Catholic Church, usually from the bishop for the district.  In my research for the Albrechtsflor family book, I found a handful of marriages between 2nd cousins, and a Papal dispensation was issued to permit the marriage.  So, my research would indicate that 1st cousins would not have been allowed to marry in the Church.

I don’t know if the same restrictions would have applied to a civil marriage, but my guess is that social norms would have prevented that, too.

—Karen

On Mar 17, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Darrel Hockley via Groups.Io <ddh_regina@...> wrote:

Would first cousin marriages amongst Banaters be allowed in the 1890s?

Darrel Hockley of Regina, SK, Canada

Darrel Hockley

Thank you Karen for the information below. Would anyone please know where I can find the Civil marriage records, not the parish records, for Alexanderhausen for the year 1899?

Darrel Hockley

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 8:36:29 a.m. CST, Karen Dalton Preston <karen@...> wrote:

Even marriage to a 3rd cousin required a dispensation from the Catholic Church, usually from the bishop for the district.  In my research for the Albrechtsflor family book, I found a handful of marriages between 2nd cousins, and a Papal dispensation was issued to permit the marriage.  So, my research would indicate that 1st cousins would not have been allowed to marry in the Church.

I don’t know if the same restrictions would have applied to a civil marriage, but my guess is that social norms would have prevented that, too.

—Karen

On Mar 17, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Darrel Hockley via Groups.Io <ddh_regina@...> wrote:

Would first cousin marriages amongst Banaters be allowed in the 1890s?

Darrel Hockley of Regina, SK, Canada

Karen Dalton Preston

Darrel, I checked the FamilySearch.org site and while the Alexanderhausen Church records are digitized, the Civil Registration records are not there yet (the FHL is adding the Hungarian Civil Registration bit by bit).

This might be something that Stasa could help with when the archives reopen  Like here, lots of offices and businesses are closed due to the coronavirus.

Best,
—Karen

On Mar 17, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Darrel Hockley via Groups.Io <ddh_regina@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeanette Wolf Messer

I have found a great uncle and aunt who were first cousins and married in Neupanat in 1919 before they immigrated to the US.   The record of their marriage is in the Neupanat marriage book for that year on Village-records.org.   The record is written in Hungarian.   Would that be a civil record?  There is a comment written but it is blurred.

Thank you for your help,

Jeanette Wolf Messer