Topics

Interpreting FB Entry

Erin Kampf

Hi everyone,

You've all been so helpful with my queries - thank you so much. I'm hoping for some additional help in understanding a FB entry (Heufeld Mastort 2010 by Kuhn, page 231-232). I am trying to understand the highlighted sections below.

This is my best guess so far:
  • Johann LUX was a miller from Reinheim and Bliesbrucken
  • But he was also from Brucken in Lothringen (Lorraine)
    • Is Bliesbrucken and Brucken one in the same?
    • I can find Reinheim & Bliesbruck (without -en) in the Lorraine region today, very close to one another (Reinheim in Germany and Bliesbruck in France).
  • What does WK 135/22 stand for? I don't see WK in the location list, but could be a house number?
  • Johann LUX was a shoemaker (and a miller??? per above) who came from Lothringen through Vienna. Did he arrive in Heufeld on 20 Oct 1770, or leave Vienna, or ???
  • There is an entry in the Fb. Neu -und Groß-St.Peter (= Raaz St. Peter) Familienbuch, entry #0796. What is 1852 in regards to?
Thank you for the help again!
Erin

Charlie Tiller

Hi Erin,

I’ve owed you a response for some time about our Kampf connections. Finally I’ve resumed genealogy research this winter, but mainly along other lines thus far. Here’s a start helping to interpret your Johann Lux entry from the Heufeld-Mastort family book.

  • Johann LUX was a miller from Reinheim and Bliesbrucken
    • CT - I believe the Muller birthplace refers to his mother, Margaretha Muller, rather than his occupation. It is a conundrum since those places are 200 km apart – Reinheim, Hesse, DE and Bliesbrucken, Lorraine, FR (was Lothringen during the DS migrations).
  • But he was also from Brucken in Lothringen (Lorraine)
    • Is Bliesbrucken and Brucken one in the same?
      • CT - Today there is a Brucken midway between Reinheim and Bliesbrucken. However, my intuition says this could be an abbreviated family recollection or Banat clerk recording of the place of origin at his death. Bet on Bliesbrucken.
    • I can find Reinheim & Bliesbruck (without -en) in the Lorraine region today, very close to one another (Reinheim in Germany and Bliesbruck in France).
      • CT - See above. In the 1700s (pre-railroads), 200 km was a fair land distance. It’s conceivable - though less likely absent a previous family connection - that Margaretha Muller originated in Reinheim and was wed to Johann Lux Sr. of Bliesbrucken.
  • What does WK 135/22 stand for? I don't see WK in the location list, but could be a house number?
    • CT - WK is Wilhelm and Kollbrunner, the compiled index of DS migrants registered while passing through Vienna during 1749-1803. Page 135, entry 22 lists “Johann Lux, Schumacher aus Lothringen” registered 20 October 1770. Unfortunately, I find no Margaretha Muller-Lux or similar spellings listed in WK. It’s not a full-proof reference.
  • Johann LUX was a shoemaker (and a miller??? per above) who came from Lothringen through Vienna. Did he arrive in Heufeld on 20 Oct 1770, or leave Vienna, or ???
    • CT - Per WK, he registered in Vienna on 20 October 1770. He was a shoemaker; Muller is his mother’s maiden name.
  • There is an entry in the Fb. Neu -und Groß-St.Peter (= Raaz St. Peter) Familienbuch, entry #0796. What is 1852 in regards to?
    • CT – That final part of the entry is confusing. It seems to refer to a descendant listed in the  family book from Neufeld and Gross St. Peter. I could be mistaken, and it’s unclear why the reference appears here.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Charlie Tiller

charlietiller@...

[...]

Hi Charlie,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for helping with this! Definitely gives me a better understanding of the details. I was wondering if Muller was referencing his mother (but I made this mistake previously where I thought something was a surname when it was an occupation - the reverse haha). It can be confusing especially with the abbreviated details included in a FB.

I found a Reinheim in Saarland 3km from Bliesbruck in France. So I am assuming it is this one and not the one in Hesse. Here's a map showing the driving route between the two towns: https://goo.gl/maps/pEAYGtHJF2pkzc7V7. Again, confusing! :)

In regards to the FB - Franx Lux is the author, in an interesting coincidence. Sorry, should have been more specific on that. Does that make more sense? I'm still not clear on the 1852 reference though.

Thanks again,
Erin

Anna Lorenz

Hi Erin,
the familiy book of Neu- and Groß-St.Peter goes "bis 1852" : till 1852 (then it ends), and the family Lux is entry number 0796
Anni

Gesendet: Samstag, 12. Dezember 2020 um 18:26 Uhr
Von: "Erin Kampf" <erin.kampf@...>
An: everybody@banat.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [banat] Interpreting FB Entry
[...]

Thank you, Anni! :)

Cathy Reece

Erin,
In answer to your question what's W/K etc. W/K stands for Wilhelm and Kalbrunner,
the men who researched and put it into their book.
Some of us have a CD of this book that we purchased.

W/K Refers to is a list of settlers coming to the Banat
 between July 5,1749 and June 25,1803.

This list ,I believe, was taken from Vienna records as all settlers going through Vienna
to the Banat had to sign in in Vienna.

The list states the head of household.  Early years does not give much data but later
entries may give info on where they originally settled in the Banat, where they came from ,
number of people traveling with them etc.

To answer your question:

W/K 135/22= the entry for your person is on page 135,line 22 in Wilhelm
and Kalbrunner's book.

Easy enough to find if one has the book. By the way the New York City Public library
has a copy of this book..

I noticed someone else gave you that entry. I have misplaced my CD; however I know it's
 here somewhere.  When I find it I can check the entry as well.

Cathy

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 5:50 PM Erin Kampf <erin.kampf@...> wrote:
Thank you, Anni! :)

Cathy Reece

Erin,
The W/K info someone sent you in this email translates to :

Johann Lux, shoemaker(occupation) from Lothringen=German Lorraine,
Signed in in Vienna: October 20,1770.

Again when I find my CD, I can take a look at it and see if there is any more information.
Some column heading lists the place of settlement of the group in that column.

Cathy

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Erin Kampf <erin.kampf@...> wrote:
[...]

I just realised you have highlighted more areas you would like translate.

987 Lux Johann= family buch --number 987 is the entry for Johann Lux
and his family

The Family Books are numbered starting with 1 as the number of the first "A" family alphabetically listed by last name in the book.
Numbers go up in numerical order until they get to the last family in the book.

Johann Lux HIghlighted area:
Mueller von Reinheim u. Bliesbrucken
 Mueller= miller (occupation)
von Reinheim u. Bliesbrucker= from Reinheim and Bliesbrucken( both places)
u. =und=and
von=from
aus Brucken, DT-Lothringen translates to:
from Brucken in DT=Deutsch=German so ST-Lothringen =German Lothringen
This area of what is now France--it changed ownership from France and Germany,depending on who
won the last battle over the area. When in France it was called 'Lorraine"  when in German territory
it was called " Lothringen", therefore your Johann Lux was living there when it was German territory.

Further down in your highlights:

after the W/K entry you highlighted:
:
Franz Lux --I believe this refers to the family book entry of Franz Lux
I don't know if this is the same person as Johann or not by what is given.
However, It says Franz's entry is in the Family Book of Neu(=new) and Gross-St. Peter
This I suspect, is a village in the Banat. It appears this village has another name="Raaz"--
This is probably the villlage name in another language-- same village.

bis.=until, so bis 1852 means the family book covers entries until 1852.

#0796 means Franz Lux's family number in this family book is 0796 and his family can
 be found under this number in the Family Book of Neu und Gross-St. Peter.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Cathy Reece via groups.io <cre29ece=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Cathy,

Just wanted to say a "belated thanks" for providing further insight on these records. Really appreciate it!

Erin

Cathy Reece

Erin
I found my Wilhelm/Kalbrunner CD.
There is no additional info given on HJohann Lux— it says from Lothringen , gives date and gives no further info given ;however, I looked back to page 112 which has a headwind for settlers on the following pages ( I believe it includes page 135.

Heading of section reads

;Verzeichnis der im Jahre 1770 von Wien aus Zur -Ansiedlung I’m Banat abgehenden Kolonisten.

According to google translate this means:

List of colonists leaving Vienna to settle in the Banat in 1770.

Then it  reads:

(Banater Akten, Fasz. 35)—- I believe there is some way to research this via Family Search.
The Mormon family research centers are closed right now— once they reopen perhaps they could  help you with this.

I don’t know if looking at the Banater Akten will help you further or not.

[...]

Wayne Bartl

The  Banater Akten is available online at the below link for members of FamilySearch.org.  Note that the Banater Akten is NOT in alphabetical order.  It is by dates.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Cathy Reece <cre29ece@...> wrote:
Erin
I found my Wilhelm/Kalbrunner CD.
There is no additional info given on HJohann Lux— it says from Lothringen , gives date and gives no further info given ;however, I looked back to page 112 which has a headwind for settlers on the following pages ( I believe it includes page 135.

Heading of section reads

;Verzeichnis der im Jahre 1770 von Wien aus Zur -Ansiedlung I’m Banat abgehenden Kolonisten.

According to google translate this means:

List of colonists leaving Vienna to settle in the Banat in 1770.

[...]

Bliesbrucken is just south of Reinheim.  See the below link to that town.

And  Bruchen, Bolchen, Loth., Elsass-Lothringen at the link below.

The Meyers Gazetteer is online.  After you can search for a village you can click on  Sounds Like" to see similar sounding villages.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM Wayne Bartl <wbartl@...> wrote:
The  Banater Akten is available online at the below link for members of FamilySearch.org.  Note that the Banater Akten is NOT in alphabetical order.  It is by dates.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Cathy Reece <cre29ece@...> wrote:
Erin
I found my Wilhelm/Kalbrunner CD.
There is no additional info given on HJohann Lux— it says from Lothringen , gives date and gives no further info given ;however, I looked back to page 112 which has a headwind for settlers on the following pages ( I believe it includes page 135.

Heading of section reads

;Verzeichnis der im Jahre 1770 von Wien aus Zur -Ansiedlung I’m Banat abgehenden Kolonisten.

According to google translate this means:

List of colonists leaving Vienna to settle in the Banat in 1770.

[...]

In answer to your question what is “1852”

Your post stating Franz Lux is the author of the Family Book led me to the title of tag at book.

The title of the book is:

Familienbuch der katholischen Pfarrgemeinde Neu- und Groß-St. Peter (= Raaz-St. Peter) im Banat bis 1852

Translates to :

family book of parishes new and Groß St. Peter in the Banat until 1852.

1852 is in the title of the family book— the entries stop at 1852( birth,marriages and deaths) I would guess.

The are 2 different  villages one is north of the other.

Also Wilhelm and Kalbrunner’s book is:

Quellen zur Deutschen Siedlungsgeschichte
In Südosteuropa” which translates to :

German settlement history in southeast Europe

Have you tried to post a query to the list for a Stader entry on you Johann Lux?
Cathy

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 3:13 PM Cathy Reece <cre29ece@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Cathy - Thank you for this further info! I have not yet asked for a Stader look-up, but I definitely will. Trying to catch up with all of my recent findings before adding to them.

Hi Wayne - I did find the Banater Akten online at FamilySearch.org, thank you for the link. I am not entirely sure how to use this resource. They do seem to have cards in alphabetical order, I suppose it's an index. I found at least one person related to my Lux family. There may be others, but some of the cards are hard to read and I also haven't gone through all the Lux entries yet. Here's the card I found: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJD-GTCV?i=3105&cat=173251

I gather that by using the date on the card, I could then find more information in the other films? This film appears to cover the time period: Faszikel 35, 152 a, 1770 Faszikel 35 152 b 1770 Faszikel 35 152 c 1770 Faszikel 35 153 a 1771 Faszikel 35 153 b 1771  I took a quick look, but as I don't read German and the script is difficult to read, I'm not really sure as to what this film includes or how to find any details related to this person. But am I on the right track?

Thank you also for the Gazetteer links! This resource should prove very helpful.

Wayne Bartl

Here is a link that explains a little about the Banater Akten.

The Banater Akten is illegible for me.  The writing is too messy. Sorry I cannot help with those documents.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 8:16 PM Erin Kampf <erin.kampf@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Zajac

Hi Erin,

You are on the right track, but the Banater Akten are very difficult to use.  I found the entry for Johann Lux that arrive on October 20, 1770, but he does not seem to be the right person as he is 28 years old and traveling alone.  Considering your Johann Lux would have been 50 years old and traveling with a wife and up to 10 children, this seems to be a mistake from the FB entry, which is not uncommon.

I'm quite certain that your Lux family instead registered in Vienna on June 9, 1770.  There is Johann Lux, a miller from Germany, aged 53, travelling with a wife and 3 sons and 3 daughters.  Then there are two more sons listed separately, Nikolas Lux, a tailor aged 25, and Johann Lux, a farmer aged 20.  This is on film 1327504, page 810.  Their settlement in Banat was on June 27, 1770 and can be found on film 1327506, page 1576.  I could not find anyone named Lux listed as an original settler of Heufeld/Mastort.  Based on your FB entry, it looks like the family was quartered in Jahrmarkt first and moved to Heufeld later.

Best regards,
Mark

Erin Kampf

Hi Mark,

Thank you for finding this for me! This does look like the right family. Are you able to tell me the column headings in this register book? Some of them are obvious, but others are not (at least not for me).

Thank you again and happy holidays!

Erin

Mark Zajac

Hi Erin,

For the Vienna registration record, the columns are 1) Name, profession and place of origin, 2) Age, 3) Marital status, 4) Number of children, 5) Number of people
Your entries are as follows:
1) Johann Lux ein Müller aus dem Reich; 2) 53; 3) verheiratet; 4) 6; 5) 8
1) Niklas Lux ein Schneider aus dem Reich; 2) 25; 3) ledig; 4) -; 5) 1
1) Johann Lux ein Bauer aus dem Reich; 2) 20; 3) ledig; 4) -; 5) 1

For the settlement record, the columns are 1) Year, date of arrival; 2) Number of families; 3) Name; 4) Age; 5) Marital status; 6) Profession; 7) Number of male, female children
Your entries are as follows:
1) 1770, June 27; 2) 1; 3) Johannes Lux sen.; 4) 53; 5) verheiratet; 6) ohne; 7) 3 Buben, 3 Mädeln
1) 1770, June 27; 2) 1; 3) Nicolaus Lux; 4) 25; 5) ledig; 6) Schneider; 7) -,-
1) 1770, June 27; 2) 1; 3) Johannes Lux jun.; 4) 25; 5) ledig; 6) ohne; 7) -,-

Regards,
Mark

Erin Kampf

Thank you so much! :)

Erin Kampf

Hi Mark,

As I dive into this further, I was wondering if you (or someone else) can help me understand how to find the Vienna Registration and the Banat Settlement records. I have other families I am looking to find and would like to be able to do this myself.

Here is one example - I found Daniel Reb in the index here. How would I know where to search next? As the date on this card is close to the Lux family that you found for me, I did go backwards in the Vienna Registration list, but there didn't seem to be more lists from earlier dates. I was able to find him in the Banat Settlement list here. But I wouldn't really know how to start from scratch if the date wasn't so close.

I would also like to find his father Heinrich Daniel Reb, which may be this index entry. I believe he would have arrived 1768 - 1769. Unfortunately this has even less info to go on and I really wouldn't know what to try next. Also where would you check for original settlers in Heufeld/Mastort, as you mentioned above?

If anyone can help with some instructions (or point me to instructions that may have been posted here or elsewhere), I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry to be monopolizing the list! I had no idea my original query would go so far down a rabbit hole :)

All the best for 2021,
Erin