Maria Theresia TV Series 2017

Ron

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the donauschwaben forum and thought I might post it here also.

I have recently been reading about the period drama series “Maria Theresia” made in 2017 (which is similar to the Netflix series “The Crown and the BBC series “Victoria”).

It was on German TV last year (I’m guessing also Austrian / Hungarian / Slovakia TV also) – the actors apparently spoke their own languages and then their lines were overdubbed for each country.

Apparantely it was also bought by PBS in the states last year – so will also be shown there.

I’ve attached a couple of links to the official trailers for both series – (hope this is ok).

Series 1 is the young Maria Theresia / Series 2 is when she is older.

https://youtu.be/iwtiDhp4rwQ

https://youtu.be/gDS1u16QeI0

What I find interesting is that Maria Theresa married Franz Stefan Von Lothringen and Lothringen itself is one of the plot lines in the series.

As Maria Theresa allowed people on both sides of the border to become colonists in the Hungarian Empire, I’m wondering if she had a soft spot for Lothringen as her husband (who was the duke of Lorraine / Lothringen when he married her), later had to give up his hereditary titles there. I know this is a historical drama series, but I also hope to learn something from it.

In Jahrmarkt, where my mother was born, the largest % of colonists came from Lothringen.

Thought you guys in the states, who may not have heard of it, might be interested.

Ron

Rudolf Huepfl

Ron, just have in mind there was no crown prince and serious discussion who shopuld take over before Marie Theresia became the leader. The following discussion about family name was quite similar like the one with the actual British Queen. The result is also quite similar. The stronger family always  wins. On the Austrian side a bit softer; the family is officially called "Habsburg - Lothringen" while Windsor remains in principle without the Mountbatten. However, the discussion to rename the family after Marie Therese into Lothringen was quite strong.
Besides that "family issues" the target of the Habsburg was quite clear. They were always out of budget, the many wars additionally asked for more funds and Lothringen was wealthy. So there was a lot of speculation on how to integrate them into the country and reduce by that the force of France. Finally, the Habsburg made it. It is the result of the old saying: Others may fight wars, but you blessed Austria marry.
Rudolf

Patty Cordova

I am extremely interested in Maria Theresa, Rudolf!  Thanks for the information.
Patty Huss Cordova
Denver, Colorado - USA

On Apr 21, 2021, at 7:45 AM, Rudolf Huepfl via groups.io <huepfl@...> wrote:

[...]

Katherine Brunner

Thank you, I’ve been fascinated by her!

On Apr 21, 2021, at 7:38 AM, Patty Cordova <pcordova58@...> wrote:

[...]

Slavicsista

Thanks so much for this info, Ron! And greetings to everyone from Okotoks near Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Maria Theresa's life story set in its historical background and supplemented with maps of ever-changing Europe will certainly help me better understand the creation of a donau-schwab nation. After all, 'a picture says a thousand words.'
My mother, born in Torontal, Hungary, and now 95, will be thrilled!

Ron

Hi Rudolf,

Thanks for the background, I don't know too much about that side of history (Austro-Hungarian) - so I think this series will fill in some gaps for me.

Thanks again,

Ron