Topics

New Banat Site #feed

Rosina T. Schmidt

Thank you, David,

The New Banat Site looks great!

However, do I understand correctly that it now covers ONLY one of the SIX Danube Swabian areas, just Banat, and no longer the other FIVE DS areas, the Swabian Turkey (Baranya, Tolna, and Somogy), the Batschka, the Satmar, the Slavonia (with Bosnia and Syrmia), and the Central Hungarian Highlands?

More on Danube Swabian history please see:

The List for all the SIX areas in both German and English is: donauschwaben-l@...

Greetings from Vancouver Island,

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 02082020AD--, at 2:18 32000PM, everybody@banat.groups.io Integration <everybody@banat.groups.io> wrote:

New Banat Site

Please join the New Banat List.

You can share information, email attachments, and much more.

If you were a member of the Rootsweb Banat List, it will be come read-only March 2, 2020. So, please join us at our new Home for a much better email AND website experience!

Edited

Dear Rosina,

From the original Information listing on Rootsweb (attached): "The Banat List is a group of individuals that are interested in researching the area of Central and Eastern Europe known as the Banat."

If you look at the Home page for this List https://banat.groups.io/g/everybody you will find a map with the 3 Counties primarily covered by the Banat List. I have also listed all of the major villages/cities as well, just as they are on the Information listing Page on Rootsweb. This has been and remains the main focus of the Banat List.

The Banat List has always focussed primarily on the Banat Area as shown on the Home Page. Yes, you have posted about other areas and interests beyond this in the past. But the primary intent of the List has been to focus on the Banat villages and land areas shown on the Home Page.

You certainly can join the DVHH List which is much more inclusive of all the D-S areas, or start new Hashtag discussion groups here with "Swabian_Turkey", "Batschka", "Slavonia", "Ofner_Burgland" or what ever to delineate your interest in these areas. List users can choose to subscribe to these discussions. There are currently 11 village Hashtag discussion areas now.

Have you been on the https://banat.groups.io/g/everybody website to look at how things are arranged? The point of the Hashtag is to create interest areas for those who want information or wish to chat about an area or village.

You could also choose to start a new List on groups.io that is focussed on the villages and areas of the D-S that most interests you if you find that the Banat List is too constraining.

Cheers,
--
David Preston
Banat List Admin

Rosina T. Schmidt

Good Morning, David,

It is correct:  "The Banat List is a group of individuals that are interested in researching the area of Central and Eastern Europe known as the Banat.”

But at those dark times the founders/and the rest of us, assumed that all Danube Swabian 6 areas were part of Banat. Now we know better, as I am delighted to say.

Many of those Banaters relocated later from Banat to Batschka, Slavonia and even to Bosnia. My mom’s people came from Austria to Temeschburg and one branch moved to Slavonia in the next generation. So normal for us DS!

Since we now know more about the Danube Swabian migrations, it's OK to keep NEW BANAT list just for Banat.

Thank you for pointing out Dvhh_list. It was myself who helped establish that list, until I was forbidden to be on Banat-L at the same time. Did I not say those were dark times??? So I definitely will not be part of it any longer.

Donauschwaben-L <donauschwaben-l@...> is a great name for a list that includes us all!

Hugs to Florida,

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 02092020AD--, at 8:23 43000AM, David Preston <banatmailer@...> wrote:

Dera Rosina,

From the original Information listing on Rootsweb (attached): "The Banat List is a group of individuals that are interested in researching the area of Central and Eastern Europe known as the Banat."

[...]

Banat List Admin <Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.07.26 AM.png>

mygene

For as long as I have been part of BANAT-L (at least ten years), although the primary focus has been the Banat area, all of the DS groups were welcome to be discussed.  There was never any "misunderstanding" that all six areas were part of the Banat.  It was merely recognized by the BANAT-L admins that none of the other groups had the resources and the message traffic to support the other areas (and still don't).  As much as I like DVHH, it is not an adequate substitute for the Banat group.  Are you now changing the rules and limiting discussion to just the Banat?  If so, that would be a HUGE loss to many of us who have relied on this group for years.

Sarah Nuñez
On 2/9/2020 10:23, David Preston wrote:

Dera Rosina,

From the original Information listing on Rootsweb (attached): "The Banat List is a group of individuals that are interested in researching the area of Central and Eastern Europe known as the Banat."

[...]

Sarah,
Well put. Just as I stated: "The Banat List has always focussed primarily on the Banat Area as shown on the Home Page." Not exclusively. Primarily.
And so shall it remain. Please read the words that were used to create the List. Please feel free to examine the Archives to confirm the vast majority of email messages have been about those 100+ villages.

Rosina's view that another German-based email list is a better resource for discussing all Germanic peoples that were induced to inhabit the lands of Hungary, Croatia, Bohemia, Transylvania and Galicia is fine. Please subscribe if you so choose.

But, Sarah, there are so many NEW WAYS of sharing information, why are we in the weeds worrying about "exclusions"? As I said, the primary focus is in the 100+ villages listed on the Home Page. Not Exclusive.

Just as it always has been.

Cheers,
--
David Preston
Banat List Admin

mygene

Thank you, David.  It was appearing, from the previous discussion in this thread, that the new list was being limited to only the area of the Banat, and that discussion of other DS areas would no longer be welcome.  I'm glad to know that that is not the case.

Sarah Nuñez
On 2/10/2020 10:50, David Preston wrote:

[...]

David Preston Test

Sarah,
You are most welcome.

I never intended to change the List, just get it to a new home.

BTW, the Rootsweb site has just started working again, after a 20 hour downtime.

So glad to be on a better platform.

Cheers,
David