Topics

New Chat: Why Chicago Germans went to Milwaukee to Marry in the 1890's #chat-notice

everybody@banat.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

A new chat has been created:

New

Does anyone know why German immigrants living in Chicago would go to Milwaukee to get married in the 1890's? The attached Milwaukee marriage record has a 16 Aug 1896 marriage date and shows the correct bride, Anna Breitsprecher, and groom, John Loose, along with their correct parents. I found a newspaper article (attached) that lists the recording of John and Anna's marriage in Milwaukee along with 21 other couples from Chicago. Apparently, this was common at that time. The 1900 Census shows them living with John's parents, their son, and two of John's siblings. It lists them as being married two years (in 1898 not 1896). There is also a Cook County Illinois Marriage Index that lists their marriage date as 16 Aug 1898 but I cannot see a copy of the record to verify. I am confused about which date is correct or maybe they both are. John and Anna were both 20 years old in 1896 so I am wondering if they were too young to get married in Illinois so they traveled to Milwaukee in 1896 and maybe were remarried in Chicago in 1898. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Randy

By: Randy Merton <randyandmarty@...>

View/Join This Chat

Do not reply to this message to post to the chat. You can participate in chats only through the group's website.

In the late 1800's Milwaukee was a destination city to get married. All you needed was a way to get there, a willing partner, and a few bucks cash. No government license was required, only a marriage certificate signed usually by clergy. Many were marriages where the parents didn't approve.
George Klingler

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 8:39 AM, everybody@banat.groups.io Notification
<noreply@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

As a note: President Lincoln's granddaughter was one of those who eloped to Milwaukee, but her father still didn't approve of her choice, Warren Beckwith from Mount Pleasant, Iowa.

<noreply@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Randy Merton

George,

Thanks for the info. That makes sense but I am still unsure of the second marriage info. Any thoughts?

Randy

On Apr 5, 2021, at 11:03 AM, George Klingler via groups.io <georgeandjudyk@...> wrote:

[...]

<dummyfile.0.part><dummyfile.1.part>