Potje Matyas

Kathy Plourde

Hi Tibor,

This isn’t a request for a look-up but I have a Hungarian question. My grandfather’s name appears in a newspaper article  (Matarszeli Usag) dated 1917 Augustus 26 that I found on the Hungaricana  website.

There is some text which followed by a list of names and perhaps regiment numbers. In the Ranglisten des Kaiserlichen und Koenighlichen Heeres 1918, his name, Potje Matyas, appears in a list of Faehnriche der Infanterie - In der Reserve IR. 66. "66-os" appears in the text of the attachment.

I’m not looking for a translation of the whole thing but could you let me know if this has to do with a list of men who were captured or a military promotion of some kind? I see footbal mentioned in the paragraph above so it could be about a soccer match for all I know!

Thanks,

Kathy

Tibor Tóth

Hello Kathy,

it's a military promotion list for the king's  (Karl I. Emperor of Austria an King of Hungary) birthday. With this occasion reserve ensign (warrant officer) Mátyás Potje was promoted to reserve lieutenant. In the first world war he was a reserve officer of the Imperial and Royal 66th Infantry Regiment (Kaiserliche und Königliche 66. Infanterie Regiment) from county Ung, in the north-eastern part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now part of Ukraine.

Greetings,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov. 23., K, 14:57):

[...]

Thanks so much, Tibor.

Kathy

On Nov 23, 2021, at 11:38 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Would the men of the Royal 66th Infantry all have been recruited from county Ung? My grandfather was born in the Banat and was studying horticulture in Budapest at the time he was drafted. I also found a record showing his name and Rang Nr. 5250. Would that have been a personal identification Number.?

Kathy

On Nov 23, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kathy,

in the Imperial and Royal Regiments it was customary for the enlisted personnel to be recruited from one or two given counties (the so called conscription regions), but the officers and the warrant officers were placed or transferred there centrally. In your case, your grandfather was born in Banat, but despite this he was assigned to the 66th Regiment, about 300 kilometers from his birthplace, because he was reserve officer.

As for the number you mentioned, it may have actually been some kind of personal identification number, but it could also have been a wound card number or a relocation number; unfortunately I can't say more about that. If you saw it in a Hungarian language context, the Hungarian word "RANG" means "RANK" in English.

Some historical facts about Ung county:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ung_County

Greetings,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov. 23., K, 22:01):

[...]

It looks like Ung County may have been his last stop before going to Russia with the army and being captured. My father only remembers that his father was captured later in the war and had to walk for long distances in the cold to a prisoner of war camp in Siberia.

Kathy

On Nov 24, 2021, at 2:30 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for your help.

[...]

Dear Kathy,

if you have specific data concerning your grandfather (exact date and place of birth with settlement AND county, military rank), perhaps the National Military Archive of Hungary can help you with some additional information.

I suggest to wrote them a short letter with every data you have about your grandfather to this address:

It worth a try.

Good luck,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov. 25., Cs, 15:59):

[...]

I’ll give it a try!

Kathy

On Nov 25, 2021, at 10:28 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Cathy Deschu

My Grandparents were born in Ungvar.  My grandmothers last name was Tot .  How would I get birth records for them.

My grandfathers last name was Parasinecz when he came to the US.  But he changed it to Persinko when he got his citizenship.

I believe they may have been Rusyn.

Cathy

On Nov 25, 2021, at 10:27 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Her name was Toth in the US.

Cathy

On Nov 25, 2021, at 3:06 PM, Cathy Deschu <cjdeschu@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear Cathy,

practically it's impossible to obtain online birth, matrimonial or burial records from Ukraine.

The only option is for someone to go there, talk to the parish priest or to try to obtain a research-permit from the State Archive from Ungvár/Uzhhorod.

There are researchers who undertake such work, but certainly not in such a covid period.

Greetings,

Tibor

Cathy Deschu via groups.io <cjdeschu=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov. 25., Cs, 21:06):

[...]

Thank you.  Gee maybe we’re related - Toth !

Cathy

On Nov 26, 2021, at 2:21 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Cathy,

concerning the TOTH family name: this is the fourth (or the third) most common Hungarian surname. It's the surname of more than 300 thousand Hungarians in East and Central Europe (in Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Ukraine and Croatia) :-)  The 60% of Toths are Catholics , 30% Calvinists and 10% other religions. My paternal lineage ist Calvinist (Reformed Protestant).

Regards,

Tibor

Mentes a vírusoktól. www.avast.com

Cathy Deschu via groups.io <cjdeschu=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov. 26., P, 11:24):

[...]

Edward Joseph Baranek

Hello Kathy and Cathy,

I know this thread is getting away from the Banat, but I am researching my Rusyn line that came from Ung County, specifically the villages of Chertezh and Serednje (villages today in Ukraine, between Uzhhorod and Mukachevo).

Neither of those villages have church records online - they are unable to access digitally from where I sit in Michigan.

I have recently hired a researcher in Uzhhorod, where the Ung County records are held. TIbor is correct, one has to obtain a permit to search. The researcher I hired is currently looking at the State Archives of the Transcarpathian Region.

You may message me if you would like his contact.

Good luck!

All the best,
eddie

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:31 AM Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Eddie. I emailed my request this morning and will see how it goes.

Kathy