Topics

Prinz Eugen

Dave Dreyer

Barbara,

A good friend, Anton Kraemer, served, not in the Prinz Eugen, but in an S S regiment on the Eastern Front.    He has written an insightful autobiography in which he notes encountering Banaters from  time to time during his service time.  He mentioned he could always detect another Banater by their distinctive accent/dialect.  So yes, Banaters served in other German units. 

Dave Dreyer

Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 9:03 AM
To: ddreyer@...
Subject: Prinz Eugen

When I visited German relatives in 2007, their grandfather Peter Schutz from Bogarosch told the story of travelling to his hometown right after the war. He was in the Prinz Eugen division and along with a friend snuck across the border. He said they would been shot if caught by the Partisaners. I asked if he had “the tattoo” and he proceeded to roll up his shirt sleeve to show it. His grandchildren were so completely shocked by this. Your explanation of the Prinz Eugen division brought back this memory. Several of my immediate family members from the Banat were in other than this division. I am not sure how common that was. B

Rudolf Huepfl

During my research, I found Banaters also within SS Viking, means far away from the Balkan. I was informed, they were selected and those reaching special height sent to other regiments.
Rudolf Hupfl

W David Samuelsen

Dave Dreyer

David

No, This is a different Division.  The Prinz Eugen was a Mountain Division and fought only partisans in Yugoslavia during the war.

The S S Viking was an Armor division and, so far as I know only served on the Eastern Front.  

Dave Dreyer

Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 9:34 AM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: Re: [banat] Prinz Eugen

W David Samuelsen

Dave,

Part of question was about SS Viking and only information was that one of Panzer Wiking. I know about Prinz Eugen Division.

David Samuelsen

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Dave Dreyer <ddreyer@...> wrote:

David

No, This is a different Division.  The Prinz Eugen was a Mountain Division and fought only partisans in Yugoslavia during the war.

The S S Viking was an Armor division and, so far as I know only served on the Eastern Front.  

Dave Dreyer

Rosina T. Schmidt

Dave and David,

Would you please give us the URL to the Prize Eugen Division.

Many thanks,

Rosina T. Schmidt 
www.hrastovac.net

On 11092020AD--, at 2:12 24000PM, W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...> wrote:

Dave,

Part of question was about SS Viking and only information was that one of Panzer Wiking. I know about Prinz Eugen Division.

David Samuelsen

David

Dave Dreyer

W David Samuelsen

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 3:32 PM Rosina T. Schmidt <rosinatschmidt@...> wrote:
Dave and David,

Many thanks,

Rosina T. Schmidt 
www.hrastovac.net

Dave,

David Samuelsen

David

Dave Dreyer

Rosina T. Schmidt

Thank you, David S.,

As I am a child of someone who was forced to sign this SS-Freiwillig document, and know just how ‘freiwillig’ it was, including the disaster that followed, but a lesser disaster than it would have been if it was not signed, I still have incredible difficulty of even just thinking on it, never mind reading it.

But I do want to include it in my website for others who are braver than I.

Many thanks,

Rosina T. Schmidt 
www.hrastovac.net

On 11092020AD--, at 2:59 28000PM, W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 3:32 PM Rosina T. Schmidt <rosinatschmidt@...> wrote:
Dave and David,

Many thanks,

Rosina T. Schmidt 
www.hrastovac.net

Dave,

David Samuelsen

David

Dave Dreyer

Rudolf Huepfl

When I mentioned the SS Wiking, it was only to underline, that Banaters were serving also in regiments in which one would not look for them. The SS Wiking was regular the first SS-Freiwilligen regiment consisting of Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish volunteers, than came  Dutch and Flemish volunteers; so usually, you don't hear about Banaters with them. To answer W.David, those who I came accrose were of very low grades, not of the type you mentioned via the wiki-link.
Rudolf Huepfl

Michael Kaiser

If you read german, this article from the Siebenbürger Zeitung about how and why ethnic germans joined the Waffen-SS is worth reading. For the others a translator might help.

https://www.siebenbuerger.de/zeitung/artikel/kultur/6800-rumaeniendeutsche-in-der-waffen_ss.html

My father Johann (Hans) Kaiser from Glogowatz was among them. He fought on Crimea in Kertsch, Sewastopol, Bataisk/Rostow, then in Naltschik (Caucasus) and after that in Stalingrad - all as a Romanian soldier (Vanatori de munte/Gebirgsjäger/Mountain division).

Not before 1943 he, like thousands other ethnic germans, joined the Waffen-SS until the war was finally over for him easter 1945 near Paderborn, some kilometers from where I live.

Am 09.11.2020 um 18:34 schrieb W David Samuelsen:
-- 
Schönen Tag noch ...

Michael Kaiser
Redakteur (DJV)
Oerlinghauser Str. 112
32758 Detmold

https://mchlksr.de

+49 (0)5232 850216 fon
+49 (0)176 47526280 mobil