From: Barbara Wilson
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 9:03 AM
To: ddreyer@...
Subject: Prinz Eugen

When I visited German relatives in 2007, their grandfather Peter Schutz from Bogarosch told the story of travelling to his hometown right after the war. He was in the Prinz Eugen division and along with a friend snuck across the border. He said they would been shot if caught by the Partisaners. I asked if he had “the tattoo” and he proceeded to roll up his shirt sleeve to show it. His grandchildren were so completely shocked by this. Your explanation of the Prinz Eugen division brought back this memory. Several of my immediate family members from the Banat were in other than this division. I am not sure how common that was. B

Rudolf Huepfl

During my research, I found Banaters also within SS Viking, means far away from the Balkan. I was informed, they were selected and those reaching special height sent to other regiments.
Rudolf Hupfl

W David Samuelsen

Dave Dreyer

David

No, This is a different Division.  The Prinz Eugen was a Mountain Division and fought only partisans in Yugoslavia during the war.

The S S Viking was an Armor division and, so far as I know only served on the Eastern Front.

Dave Dreyer