Topics

Sad news

Steve Herold

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days. 
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold 

Patty Cordova

Bob Madler left a living legacy.  May he rest in peace.

I really appreciated learning about the Banat mailing list through the Romanian Embassy in NY.  Anni Lorenz responded to my first inquiries, and I was able to connect with a cousin I didn’t know I had...Walter Friesenhahn.

I've noticed Anni is still helping Banaters through the mailing list.  Hats off to Anni!   

Patty (Huss) Cordova

On Dec 16, 2020, at 9:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days. 
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold 

Timothy Ottinger

My deepest condolences.  It was the Banat List that started me on the journey of discovering my heritage.

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:39:11 PM EST, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

Steve Herold 

Arthur Grun

Most sincere condolences from the very small UK Donauschwaben community. His work and those of others have contributed so much to the likes of myself in better understanding our heritage.
Best Regards
Arthur Grun

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 17:50, Timothy Ottinger <ottinger515@...> wrote:
My deepest condolences.  It was the Banat List that started me on the journey of discovering my heritage.

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:39:11 PM EST, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days. 

Steve Herold 

Karen Dalton Preston

This sad news indeed!  Bob left a great legacy with the Banat List.  For me, the List set me on the path of researching my Banat roots, and led me to work with my collaborator Dave Dreyer.

My deepest condolences to Bob’s family at this time.

—Karen Preston

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

Steve Herold 

Bobbi Schirado

I remember Bob posting when I first found the Banat list. He was helpful, cheerful and a wonderful researcher. My husband’s ancestors came to America from the Banat and this list gave me all kinds of insights into the history and traditions of his family. 

Thank you Steve for carrying on the “family business” by keeping this list going. 

My condolences to you and to your family.

Bobbi Schirado

Steve Herold 

Joe Steirer

My condolences, Bob will be missed. Joe Steirer.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 01:15:58 PM EST, Bobbi Schirado <rhjschirado@...> wrote:

I remember Bob posting when I first found the Banat list. He was helpful, cheerful and a wonderful researcher. My husband’s ancestors came to America from the Banat and this list gave me all kinds of insights into the history and traditions of his family. 

Thank you Steve for carrying on the “family business” by keeping this list going. 

My condolences to you and to your family.

Bobbi Schirado

Steve Herold 

Edward Lowitz

Sorry Steve!

Ed.

From: everybody@banat.groups.io [mailto:everybody@banat.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Herold
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:25 AM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: [banat] Sad news

Steve Herold 

Barbara Wilson

So sorry for your loss. Steve, it is my opinion that you also belong on this illustrious list of contributors whose work has grown our community. B

Steve Herold 

H Klein

Very sorry. Please accept my condolences due to passing away of Bob Madler. 

MaybI ask if Dave Dreyer enjoys retirement? 
Dave tireless answered many questions as well . 

Thank you 
Regards 
Helga Klein- Austria -Banat Franzfeld 
hklein@...

On 16.12.2020, at 18:50, Timothy Ottinger <ottinger515@...> wrote:

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

Steve Herold 

Glenn Schwartz

Where would we all be without Bob bringing us together on this list? Each of us wandering alone on the Internet? We all owe so much to what he started. RIP Bob.

Glenn Schwartz

President, Zichydorf Village Association (http://zichydorfonline.org)
Searching: Schwartz, Kleckner, Schönherr in Zichydorf, Banat; Schüssler, Millecker, Lenhardt in Kudritz, Banat; Schwartz, Kory, Pierson/Person in Morawitza, Banat; Kalupsky/Chalupsky in Blumenthal, Banat; Bardua, Kandel, Heuchert in Kolomea, Galicia; Kuntz, Holzer, Kraft, Wolfe, Folk (Volk) in Kutschurgan, Russia; Macht in Volga, Russia.
Email: gschwartz@...
On 12/16/2020 10:25 AM, Steve Herold wrote:

Steve Herold 

Gary Arnold

To all of those to whom Barb‘s passing meant so much, I express my sorrow. I have grown to admire and respect all of the experts in this group for their diligence. Your love of our history inspires and causes us to sally forth and continue to research. Thank you for all of your efforts.
Gary

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 3:58 PM, Glenn Schwartz <gschwartz@...> wrote:

Where would we all be without Bob bringing us together on this list? Each of us wandering alone on the Internet? We all owe so much to what he started. RIP Bob.

Glenn Schwartz

President, Zichydorf Village Association (http://zichydorfonline.org)
Searching: Schwartz, Kleckner, Schönherr in Zichydorf, Banat; Schüssler, Millecker, Lenhardt in Kudritz, Banat; Schwartz, Kory, Pierson/Person in Morawitza, Banat; Kalupsky/Chalupsky in Blumenthal, Banat; Bardua, Kandel, Heuchert in Kolomea, Galicia; Kuntz, Holzer, Kraft, Wolfe, Folk (Volk) in Kutschurgan, Russia; Macht in Volga, Russia.
Email: gschwartz@...
On 12/16/2020 10:25 AM, Steve Herold wrote:

Steve Herold 

Helga

Steve,
My sincere condolences to you and your family!

Helga, Vienna

Am 16.12.2020 um 17:25 schrieb Steve Herold:

Steve Herold 

Eric Benshetler

I am so sorry for your loss, Steve.  It’s a great loss to all of us, of course.  Bob was a wonderful gentleman and always helpful.  (As are you.  It’s been a few years since we met in Anaheim when I was out there for an academic conference!)

I joined the Banat list shortly after it was started, in 1996 when Bob was the moderator.  Packrat that I am, I still have some e-mails from back then; two excerpts are below from 1997 and 2011.  Note that there were 250 subscribers in 1997.  And yes, we did have e-mail back then.

May the memory of Bob be a blessing.

--- Eric Benshetler

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 31, 1997 2:10 AM
To: banat@...
Subject: [List Admin change to Chris Lamesfield]

Dear friends,

There ever comes a time for 'the changing of the guard'. For this man, I believe the time is now. This then is my 'swan song'. As like the fabled maiden awaiting the arrival of 'one good man', my one good man is Chris Lamesfield. Chris is known already to many subscribers. Doubtless, he will soldier on as moderator in no less than a noble fashion.

As many of you are aware, for a long time I have been most concerned about the future prospects for this 'family'. This for varied reasons; health, potential change of provider and a host of personal reasons instantly come to mind. This has been vexing for me. For me not to *know* that a good home was available was unthinkable!

A 'hot' auto should go from zero to 60 mph in about 6 seconds. We have gone from zero to (about) 250 subscribers within under 2 years. Never a week passes without new subscribers and often on a daily basis. This gives me great pleasure; to found something other's find useful is endlessly delightful.

You have been a *great* group to work with! The warmth of your personal messages of thanks; your willingness to assist each other in research; and certainly the lack of the endless bickering of other groups makes the Banat group truly outstanding.

There will be numerous questions, of course. As a favor to "Chris J. Lamesfield" <cjl@...> I would ask you to withhold these for a time. Chris will shoulder future responsibilities for this list. I have the utmost confidence in Chris, and sincerely feel that this is the wisest choice I could have made. Both he and John Movius (feefhs@...) have a great deal of work to do. This transition requires the transfer of all but countless pointers.

So - so, goodbye. This is a highly emotional event for me; one that was demanding of a great deal of thought. But I leave, knowing this is in your best interest.

This will be an unusually smooth transition. You have to do *nothing*; this thanks to the work of Chris. And I do mean *thanks* to Chris.

Thank you for your giving to me one of the ultimate gifts; the ability to be useful to you. This has been a memorable experience; I would not have missed it for the world!

Cheers, good people :-)!

-----Original Message-----
From: banat-bounces@... [mailto:banat-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Bob Madler
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:20 AM
To: Cathy Deschu <cjdeschu@...>
Cc: Banat-L@...
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] Bob Madler

Sincerest thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday. Indeed I had just that, as we spend the day and more on a mini-vacation in Death Valley. Definitely was worthy of my bucket list.

For the record this was my 82nd birthday.

Bob Madler

bobmadler@...

Que sera, sera

From: everybody@banat.groups.io [mailto:everybody@banat.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Herold
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:25 AM
To: everybody@banat.groups.io
Subject: [banat] Sad news

Steve Herold 

Chuck Kathrein

Steve.  Please accept my sincere condolences!

My grandfather, John Gall, was friends with the Madlers in the New England area!

Chuck Kathrein 
Maple Grove, Minnesota 
+1 320-412-0387

On Dec 17, 2020, at 7:10 AM, Helga <h.frank.api@...> wrote:

Steve,
My sincere condolences to you and your family!

Helga, Vienna

Am 16.12.2020 um 17:25 schrieb Steve Herold:

Steve Herold 

Cathy Deschu

Glad to hear he went peacefully. 
 We should all be so lucky. 
Sorry for our loss.

Cathy Deschu

On Dec 16, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Timothy Ottinger <ottinger515@...> wrote:

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

Steve Herold