Topics

Sad news

Steve Herold

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Patty Cordova

Bob Madler left a living legacy.  May he rest in peace.

I really appreciated learning about the Banat mailing list through the Romanian Embassy in NY.  Anni Lorenz responded to my first inquiries, and I was able to connect with a cousin I didn’t know I had...Walter Friesenhahn.

I've noticed Anni is still helping Banaters through the mailing list.  Hats off to Anni!

Patty (Huss) Cordova

On Dec 16, 2020, at 9:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Timothy Ottinger

My deepest condolences.  It was the Banat List that started me on the journey of discovering my heritage.

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:39:11 PM EST, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Arthur Grun

Most sincere condolences from the very small UK Donauschwaben community. His work and those of others have contributed so much to the likes of myself in better understanding our heritage.
Best Regards
Arthur Grun

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 17:50, Timothy Ottinger <ottinger515@...> wrote:
My deepest condolences.  It was the Banat List that started me on the journey of discovering my heritage.

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:39:11 PM EST, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Karen Dalton Preston

This sad news indeed!  Bob left a great legacy with the Banat List.  For me, the List set me on the path of researching my Banat roots, and led me to work with my collaborator Dave Dreyer.

My deepest condolences to Bob’s family at this time.

—Karen Preston

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Bobbi Schirado

I remember Bob posting when I first found the Banat list. He was helpful, cheerful and a wonderful researcher. My husband’s ancestors came to America from the Banat and this list gave me all kinds of insights into the history and traditions of his family.

Thank you Steve for carrying on the “family business” by keeping this list going.

My condolences to you and to your family.

Bobbi Schirado

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Joe Steirer

My condolences, Bob will be missed. Joe Steirer.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 01:15:58 PM EST, Bobbi Schirado <rhjschirado@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward Lowitz

Sorry Steve!

Ed.

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.

I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Barbara Wilson

So sorry for your loss. Steve, it is my opinion that you also belong on this illustrious list of contributors whose work has grown our community. B

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

H Klein

Very sorry. Please accept my condolences due to passing away of Bob Madler.

MaybI ask if Dave Dreyer enjoys retirement?
Dave tireless answered many questions as well .

Thank you
Regards
Helga Klein- Austria -Banat Franzfeld
hklein@...

On 16.12.2020, at 18:50, Timothy Ottinger <ottinger515@...> wrote:

My deepest condolences.  It was the Banat List that started me on the journey of discovering my heritage.

Judy Brassinger Ottinger

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:39:11 PM EST, Steve Herold <steveh@...> wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Glenn Schwartz

Where would we all be without Bob bringing us together on this list? Each of us wandering alone on the Internet? We all owe so much to what he started. RIP Bob.

Glenn Schwartz

President, Zichydorf Village Association (http://zichydorfonline.org)
Searching: Schwartz, Kleckner, Schönherr in Zichydorf, Banat; Schüssler, Millecker, Lenhardt in Kudritz, Banat; Schwartz, Kory, Pierson/Person in Morawitza, Banat; Kalupsky/Chalupsky in Blumenthal, Banat; Bardua, Kandel, Heuchert in Kolomea, Galicia; Kuntz, Holzer, Kraft, Wolfe, Folk (Volk) in Kutschurgan, Russia; Macht in Volga, Russia.
Email: gschwartz@...
On 12/16/2020 10:25 AM, Steve Herold wrote:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Gary Arnold

To all of those to whom Barb‘s passing meant so much, I express my sorrow. I have grown to admire and respect all of the experts in this group for their diligence. Your love of our history inspires and causes us to sally forth and continue to research. Thank you for all of your efforts.
Gary

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 3:58 PM, Glenn Schwartz <gschwartz@...> wrote:

[...]

Helga

Steve,
My sincere condolences to you and your family!

Helga, Vienna

Am 16.12.2020 um 17:25 schrieb Steve Herold:

My cousin, Bob Madler, 92, died in his sleep over the weekend.  Bob started the Banat  mailing list in 1995.  Bob wasn’t technical but somehow he got a local service provider to start the list.  Bob did an outstanding job of nurturing and financing the list in its early days.
I forget the year but at The Donauschwaben Heritage Celebration in Mt. Angel, Oregon, Dave Dreyer, John Michels, and Bob Madler were given awards in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the Donauschwaben community.

Steve Herold

Eric Benshetler

I am so sorry for your loss, Steve.  It’s a great loss to all of us, of course.  Bob was a wonderful gentleman and always helpful.  (As are you.  It’s been a few years since we met in Anaheim when I was out there for an academic conference!)

I joined the Banat list shortly after it was started, in 1996 when Bob was the moderator.  Packrat that I am, I still have some e-mails from back then; two excerpts are below from 1997 and 2011.  Note that there were 250 subscribers in 1997.  And yes, we did have e-mail back then.

May the memory of Bob be a blessing.

                                                                                --- Eric Benshetler