Schools in the Banat

Kathy Plourde

Hi Tibor,

I have a question on a different subject - higher education in the Banat. Was it common for people to go to high school or Gymnasium? I asked about it previously (before you joined this group).

I did a search on the Arcanum.hu website and it returned a number of hits with my grandfather’s name (Mathias Potje). I already knew that he studied at Catholic high school in Temesvar but was surprised to see that his name also came up for the Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium in Szeged. This school as well as the Kegyestanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar printed annual books that included tables with the students’ names and grades. His youngest sister (who was 16 years younger than him) told us that he wanted to be a priest and had studied theology but dropped out.  His report card for one year showed the tuition amount as 1437  - I think the currency at the time in Hungary was Krone.

What I don’t understand is why a young boy who lived in Szakalhaza  (born in 1895 so approximately age 13 in 1908) would be sent to Szeged to go to school - I’m assuming it was a boarding school. He was there for the 1909 and 1910 and then at  Kegystanitorendi Fogimnazium in Temesvar 1911 and dropped out in 1912.

After that he studied horticulture at the Royal Hungarian Academy in Budapest until he was drafted to go into the army in 1915. He was listed as a Faehnrich in der Reserve in 1917 in the Ranglisten in the Austro-Hungarian army.

Rosina T. Schmidt

Hello Everyone,

Just like today, some youngsters are more academically inclined than others, and the parents would go out of their way to make higher education possible, especially if the hometown did not have a high school close by.

Also, in some jurisdictions, it was a practice that the first son inherited the farm, and others received a trade education or academic education. Remember the saying ‘one for the farm, one for the military, one for the church’… As a future farmer, that son would also learn a trade at the same time, like wagon maker, a smith, farm tools maker, etc.

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 05262022AD--, at 8:30 06000AM, Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde@...> wrote:

[...]

<Szeged_34256_AllamiKlauzalGimnazium_34267_1909-10__pages43-43 Potje Janos SK.pdf>

Tibor Tóth

Hello Kathy,

The high school (Gymnasium) wasn’t cheap, but if the child (or their parents) applied for a scholarship and got it, it was already easier.

There were also church, professional, and civic scholarships, without which only wealthy families could afford to send their children in high school. You also write that your grandfather’s one-year tuition reached 1437 crowns (which seems pretty much to me, but it's not impossible). You should know that the purchasing power of a 1900-1910 crown was roughly equal to the current $5, so the annual tuition was equal (in actual purchase power) with  $7,185.

The distance between Timisoara and Szeged is about 70-75 miles, which is not so big. In the early 20th century it could be done by train in 2, maximum 3 hours. There was a lively cultural, commercial and economic relationship between the two cities, so it is not very surprising that there was also a passage between the schools.

Greetings,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. máj. 26., Cs, 17:53):

[...]

Thanks, Rosina and Tibor, for your responses.  My grandfather was the second oldest son so I guess he was the one for the church.

I likely made an error with the tuition amount  -  I’ll have to check that. He came from a family of 9 children so they probably were unable to pay a such a large sum of money. The marks on his school report were 1’s and 2’s (with one 3) so perhaps he received some assistance with his school fees.

Some initials appear behind his name in the Szeged Magy. Kir. Allami Fogimnazium 1910-11 report. They are r.k., tdm. I’m guessing that r.k. is Roman Catholic but I don’t know what tdm. stands for. In the 1911-12 report, the initials changed to np. In the 1912 Katholikus Szemle, the word papnov is behind his name. Could that be novitiate priest?

Here’s a screenshot of the entry:

Kathy

On May 26, 2022, at 12:49 PM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Karoly Hajdu

Yes, "papnöv." abbreviation means priesthood student.

Károly
From Budapest

[...]

Hi Kathy,

concerning the initials:

1.) r.k. = római katolikus = roman catholic

2.) tdm = tandíjmentes = exempted from paying tuition fees

3.) np = növendékpap = priest in noviciate

Greetings,

Tibor

Kathy Plourde via groups.io <daveKathyplourde=icloud.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. máj. 27., P, 21:31):

[...]

Kathy,

Your ancestor’s talents did not go toward the church's directions, as per your notes his report card noted a failing grade. Even during my time of schooling in that country, a “1” indicated a failing grade and a “5” was the top mark.

Greetings from Vancouver Island,

Rosina T. Schmidt
www.hrastovac.net

On 05272022AD--, at 10:35 23000PM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

<Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 3.25.40 PM.png>

[...]

Thank you so much. It looks like he was exempt from tuition fees because he was potentially a candidate for the priesthood. He was born in 1895 and started school in Szeged in 1908 so he would have been12 years old. That seems pretty young to be making a decision to become a priest or, more likely, he was guided in that direction.  His youngest sister wrote to me that he dropped out of school in 1912 due to stress. By May, 1913, he was studying horticulture in Torda.

This is a puzzle I’ve been trying to solve for a while. It would have remained a mystery without the help of the Banat group.

Kathy

On May 28, 2022, at 1:35 AM, Tibor Tóth <lemilpromo@...> wrote:

[...]

Before 1948 in Hungary „1” was the best (top mark) and „5” was the worst (failed).

My uncle, who was born also in Bánát (Mokrin) and studied also to be a priest left this profession before the consecration.

It happened around 1900.

I think it was an opportunity to learn at the time.

Greetings,

Károly

[...]

It all worked out.  He was eventually employed as a gardener in Kitchener where he designed and planted the formal flower beds at Victoria Park and Kitchener’s city Hall.

Kathy