Topics

Strange one: Jünger family back to Deutschsanktmichael Banat, circa 1907?

Carla Orvis Hunt

Happy Tuesday everyone,

Does anyone have any guidance on finding a family’s travel record RETURNING to Deutschsanktmichael from the States circa 1907? or further information on them?

I’m searching for one branch of cousins. Here’s what I know:

Katharina Ballauer born 1887 DSM has a daughter named Magdelena, then marries Peter Jünger, DSM, then has a son Peter, then the four of them get on the Barbarossa with Ballauer family 24 March 1905 arrival.

We knew one sibling went back.

In 1923, Josef Jünger aged 17 applies for an American passport from DSM, stating that he was born Chicago 1905, while his family was living there for about a year and a half. He also states that his father Peter lives there currently (1923). The passport is approved, we know he’s ours but I cannot find him after. I think I have his arrival record 1923 on the Roosevelt.

we also know (DSM family book) that there’s a 4th child, Katharina, who marries Eduard Buchler and has two children in DSM.

I have no death locations dates for any of the above except possibly one of the Buchler children. One would think they would show up somewhere, I’ve looked any which way I can think but Jünger tends to pull up Germany records.

im asking family and have asked the DSM community.

any tips?

Linda Sohl

Hi Carla,

I've found your Josef. He seems to have changed his name to Younger after he returned to the US. I couldn't find him in either the 1930 or 1940 US Census, but I did find his WW2 draft registration card from 1940 and his Illinois death record entry in 1942 on Ancestry.com (see attached).

Cheers,
Linda

Carla Orvis Hunt

Phonetic spelling, of course!

Dearest Linda, I will look into this more now but had to say thank you. Thank YOU!!!!

Would you please share how your genius at getting Ancestry to reveal this? Did you leave his last name blank because it's tricky and input the birth year and parents, or...?

Thank you,
Carla

Carla Orvis Hunt
510.375.7413

"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where
there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." ~ Ella Fitzgerald

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 AM Linda Sohl <lesohl.home@...> wrote:
Hi Carla,

I've found your Josef. He seems to have changed his name to Younger after he returned to the US. I couldn't find him in either the 1930 or 1940 US Census, but I did find his WW2 draft registration card from 1940 and his Illinois death record entry in 1942 on Ancestry.com (see attached).

Cheers,
Linda

Linda Sohl

Hi Carla,

Happy to be of help! I've run into phonetic transformations and translations of surnames before, so I thought I'd try it for Josef. I did enter his birth year +/- 2 years, and specified Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois for his birthplace to cut down on the number of possible returns. I also looked first under military records since so many men had to register for the WW2 draft, and those records seem less prone to transcription error than census records. From there, Ancestry suggested his death record info.

But no luck on the 1930 or 1940 census, and there I tried a variety of spellings. I didn't try to look directly at the 1940 census record for the address given on his draft registration, though - maybe if you can find him there, you may discover what other surname spelling to search under.

Best of luck!
-Linda

Wayne Bartl

Carla,  Here is a link to Joseph's baptismal record in Chicago. I attached a copy of the record.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 1:06 AM Carla Orvis Hunt <carlaorvishunt@...> wrote:

[...]

Wayne, thank you very much! So we know some about Joseph. That's great! Still working on the censuses, et cetera, and wondering if he married before dying young :( ... I'll see if I can find anything about Magadelena or Peter using the name "Younger"

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 1:41 PM Wayne Bartl <wbartl@...> wrote:
[...]

Cathy Reece

Carla,
It’s Cathy.
Have you tried Dave Dryer’s ship list. He has a return trip to Banat for my grandmother.

Cousin Cathy

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:06 AM Carla Orvis Hunt <carlaorvishunt@...> wrote:

[...]

I did try, dear cousin, at least under the village and also under the name of Jünger 💗

Carla Orvis Hunt
, 510.375.7413

On Feb 23, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Cathy Reece <cre29ece@...> wrote:

[...]

Do we want to add this to the arrivals list in case anyone else needs it? (Jünger, Junger and Klinger and Pollman) (see below)

So! In my continued search for the cousins from Katharina Ballauer who married Peter Jünger, I think I found the arrival record for Magdelena Jünger, arrival 6 Mar 1912, ship: Rijndam, she is listed as birth year 1896 (born 1897), from Nemet Szt. Mihaly father Peter Jünger. Right above her are her likely first cousin once removed and that cousin's husband: Eva Pollman marries Mihaly/Michael Klinger, and Michael and Eva Klinger are right above Magdelena on the manifest, also from Nemet Szt. Mihaly (I know it's them as Michael lists closest relative as father in law Georg Pollman, Eva's dad).

Still no idea what happens with Magdelena after arrival 1912, but she did also have the name Junger then. So young.

(screenshot of image attached)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 6:52 PM Carla Orvis Hunt via groups.io <carlaorvishunt=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Dreyer

Clara,

One can find other examples of returnees who were born preWW I in the US and returned to the Banat.  I they wanted back to the US after the war a passport and visa were required,  Many of those returning to Europe felt comfortable taking an English ship in returning------and perhaps they traveled at a better rate than returning via Bremen or Hamburg.  Traveling New York to Liverpool and then the boat train to London and on to one of the channel ports, Hoek van Holland, perhaps and then to the Banat by train.. No one kept a record of those Eastbound.  But England kept a record of incoming passengers.  These can be found on Ancestry under "UK arrivals".  As I recall they are rather vague, you will only get a name, age and date of arrival.

Dave Dreyer

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:05:51 AM PST, Carla Orvis Hunt <carlaorvishunt@...> wrote:

[...]

Clara

Is it possible that the Klinger you refer to is actually spelled Klingler? If so, I am likely related. My direct line came from Gross Jetscha and Knez, but I seem to recall a connection to St. Michael. What city did they immigrate to?

George Klingler
georgeandjudyk@...

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 10:30 PM, Dave Dreyer
<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes!! Hi, George! And thank you also, likely cousin, as my eye was sliding right by that misspelling from the manifest, which is maybe why I can’t find further records. It is Klingler, and we must likely be related some which way as I have pages here in the D St Michael book of Klinglers with some marriages to the Holz and Fortler families also. Chicago- always to Chicago. You? - Carla

Carla Orvis Hunt
, 510.375.7413

<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi new cousin(now to figure out how),

Do any of the Klinglers listed in the DSM book reference any other towns, such as Gross Jetscha? I am related to some Holz but don't recognize Fortler. My tree is almost 10,000 and I don't recall how I traced my tree to DSM. My Klinglers originally came from Kirchenarnbach, Germany.

My Klinglers came to Adams, Mass, as did many from GJ(apparently there were jobs in a knitting mill). My line then moved on to Milwaukee. We now live in Waukesha, Wi and Gilbert, Az. My health is not so good anymore, and this may be my last year in AZ.

Cousin George

<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, new cousin of some distinction. Anything I can do to help?

Yes, I have four references here to Grosßjetscha, which I think is the same.
1. Josef Klingler, born Großjetscha, married Eva Klein, born same, first son born same Mathias, September 1921.
2. Michael Klingler born 1829, Großjetscha, son of Peter and Susanna Gimpel. He has three wives: Marianna Bachmann, Susanna Follmer, and Elisabetha Ludwig.
3. I also have Franz Klingler, born 1836 Großjetscha, married to Magdelena Eberhardt.
4. Also, last, I have Peter Klingler no birth date, died about 1896, married to Magdelena Waltner who was born circa 1804 Großjetscha.

Including photos. There’s also one who was born in Neuberg.

Carla Orvis Hunt
, 510.375.7413

<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

I will work on these and let you know what I find.

<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the four Klingler references you found. From what I can tell, I do not have these Klinglers in my tree yet. This is very surprising because I am related to all the Klinglers from Gross Jetscha. I can not check the GJ book now as it is back in Wi and I am now in Az. I will follow up when I return to Wi. I also see several names common to those in Gross Jetscha, such as Gimpel, Follmer, Holz, etc. Where do you fit in?

<ddreyer@...> wrote:
[...]

George,

The family relationship of which I am sure is by marriage only, of Eva Pollman to George Klingler married 1912 DSM. Eva’s mother was Katharina Holz, my great-great grandmother Margaretha’s little sister. So I think Katharina would be my great great grand auntie, and Eva would be my cousin (having been my great grandmothers first cousin once removed). There might be some other connections to the Klingler line further back that I’ll have to check out.

My direct line comes from D St Michael (with 4-5 generations of Banaters before that from various villages) - I’m the great great granddaughter of Franz Ballauer and Margaretha Holz, and the great granddaughter of their daughter Katharina Marie Ballauer. Katharina and her parents and surviving siblings come to the states in 1905 and settle in Chicago, then spread out some, with my great grandma living a happy life on a central Michigan farm.

Love,
Carla

Carla Orvis Hunt
, 510.375.7413

<carlaorvishunt@...> wrote:
I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, new cousin of some distinction. Anything I can do to help?

Yes, I have four references here to Grosßjetscha, which I think is the same.
1. Josef Klingler, born Großjetscha, married Eva Klein, born same, first son born same Mathias, September 1921.
2. Michael Klingler born 1829, Großjetscha, son of Peter and Susanna Gimpel. He has three wives: Marianna Bachmann, Susanna Follmer, and Elisabetha Ludwig.
3. I also have Franz Klingler, born 1836 Großjetscha, married to Magdelena Eberhardt.
4. Also, last, I have Peter Klingler no birth date, died about 1896, married to Magdelena Waltner who was born circa 1804 Großjetscha.

Including photos. There’s also one who was born in Neuberg.

<image0.jpeg>

<image1.jpeg>

<image2.jpeg>

Carla Orvis Hunt