Topics

Translation

Dave Dreyer

In the 1797 Standestabellen of the 2nd Banater composite Grenz battalion are several groups of men listed under the heading "Auf dem Anhero marsche",  At this time the Battalion is in action against the French in Italy around Lake Garda and Mantua.
What would the translation be?

Dave Dreyer

Stefan Sabolowitsch

Hello Dave,
"Anhero" comes from the Latin and means "a hero" in this case a "hero march".

Best regards
Stefan Sabolowitsch

Am 17.12.20 um 06:27 schrieb Dave Dreyer:

In the 1797 Standestabellen of the 2nd Banater composite Grenz battalion are several groups of men listed under the heading "Auf dem Anhero marsche",  At this time the Battalion is in action against the French in Italy around Lake Garda and Mantua.
What would the translation be?

Dave Dreyer

Philipp Gerhardt

Hello Dave,

I cannot agree with Stefan's suggestion. The original document probably says "auf dem anhiero Marsch". "Anhiero" means "herewith" or "here mentioned", "the above mentioned march".

Philipp Gerhardt

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Re: [banat] Translation

Datum: 2020-12-17T08:29:01+0100

Von: "Stefan Sabolowitsch" <sabolowitschst@...>

An: "everybody@banat.groups.io"

Hello Dave,
"Anhero" comes from the Latin and means "a hero" in this case a "hero march".

Best regards
Stefan Sabolowitsch

Am 17.12.20 um 06:27 schrieb Dave Dreyer:
In the 1797 Standestabellen of the 2nd Banater composite Grenz battalion are several groups of men listed under the heading "Auf dem Anhero marsche",  At this time the Battalion is in action against the French in Italy around Lake Garda and Mantua.
What would the translation be?

Dave Dreyer

C G Junkers

Hello Dave,

there are two meanings of this old German adverb: in this case "anhero" means "hierher" or "hieran" and means the troups marching here to the action place.

Source: https://fwb-online.de/lemma/anher.s.4adv

Günter Junkers

Walter Nehlich

... heranrückende Truppen... (?)

Walter

mobil gesendet.

Am 17.12.2020 4:28 nachm. schrieb C G Junkers <cgjunkers@...>:

Hello Dave,

there are two meanings of this old German adverb: in this case "anhero" means "hierher" or "hieran" and means the troups marching here to the action place.

Source: https://fwb-online.de/lemma/anher.s.4adv

Günter Junkers

Dave Dreyer

My besten dank, to all those who contributed to an interpretation of "anhero".  I have struggled with this heading off and on for several years and the depth of knowledge of list members is truly reassuring and impressive. Problem solved!

Dave Dreyer.